We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari & Guide Services

New York
Level Contributor
90 posts
278 reviews
Save Topic
Safari & Guide Services

Anyone had experience with their private guide safaris in Chobe?

Kasane
Level Contributor
175 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari & Guide Services

Afternoon, not sure if I'm the appropriate person to answer this (being a director of SGS), but I can point you in the direction of travel agents, former guests etc who would be able to give you an independent critique.

Best regards from Botswana,

Clive.

Safari and Guide Services

New York
Level Contributor
90 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari & Guide Services

Let us answer our own question of August 25.

My girlfriend and I recently returned from a trip to Botswana where we spent 4 amazing days with a Safari & Guide Services guide and his team in the Savuti area of Chobe National Park.

We subsequently spent 4 days at a tent camp in the Okavango Delta. That, too, was great, but it is the SGS experience that will always be the centerpiece of our memories of a fabulous vacation.

One of the big learnings from our trip is that what makes a safari special is not the animals, though they are impressive. It’s the GUIDE. And there are none better than Frank Chikosi.

“Knowledgeable” doesn’t even begin to describe Frank. He’s knows the name of every animal, bird, and plant in the region. He’s understands how the wildlife interacts. He tracks. He locates the predators by observing the prey and what they’re reacting to. He makes everything understandable and magical in how it all functions as an integrated environment.

Plus, he has a great sense of humor. Laughter was a common as amazement.

SGS operates “mobile tent safaris,” meaning that we’re all living in tents and we move to where the animals are. The tents were comfortable with our shower/toilet housed in an “add-on” right behind the sleeping quarters. We were able to have a drip shower every day, usually during the heat of the day.

We would get up before dawn (after a night of listening to animals passing right next to our tent during the night . . . scary at first, sensational thereafter.) Hot coffee and “porridge” were ready (how they did that in the near-dark is impressive). We would then drive and track for 4-5 hours. We always seemed to find more and more wildlife: scores of elephants, prides of lions, leopards on the hunt, ostriches, giraffe families, eagles, small birds, etc., etc.

Then we would return to camp to find an amazing brunch followed by relaxation time during the heat of the day when the animals are sleeping, too.

About 3.30 we would have coffee (and more food) and then head out on a late afternoon game drive . . . always to a different area.

We’d arrive back in camp at sundown and have a multi-course dinner. A major compliment to Andre, his chef, is warranted. He made gourmet quality meals . . . including baking fresh bread . . . over an open fire. When we asked him where he learned to cook so well, he said, “I read a few books.”

A comment on the terrain is also worth making. The Savuti . . . in fact most of southern Africa . . . is a desert interrupted by occasional rivers. It’s a rough place, made to seem even rougher by the destruction caused by the elephants that seem focused on knocking down as many trees as possible. Our first reaction was one of surprise (I guess we’ve seen too many National Geographic shows) but we came to appreciate what a challenge it would be to survive in that environment.

We’re organizing a return trip with SGS in 2014. Can’t wait.

Contact us if you’d like more information: Robbhigh@gmail.com

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,678 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari & Guide Services

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. As ever, I'm interested in WHAT made you choose this outfit over all the other similar ones?

Kasane
Level Contributor
175 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari & Guide Services

Dear Rob,

Great to hear you had a good time. Frank and the team send their best regards and we look forward to seeing you back in Botswana soon!

Best regards,

Clive.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,678 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari & Guide Services

Let's keep bumping these up for some more publicity!

New York
Level Contributor
90 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari & Guide Services

Our entire Botswana trip was organized by Okavango Tours & Safari in London. Jane, the owner is a personal friend. We just talked by things that we like, such not being with a large group, and wanted a real Africa experience and she quickly realized that SGS was best for us. But it may not be for everyone! You have to want to "rough it."

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Safari & Guide Services

What size tent did you stay in? Was it the ebony or the morula level?

New York
Level Contributor
90 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safari & Guide Services

It was morula

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Safari & Guide Services

Did you find it satisfactory as far as the number of windows and not feeling too small? I am trying to decide between the ebony and morula. I don't know if it's worth getting the ebony .It is just the two of us, so I don't think we would have a back up vehicle with the morula..

New York
Level Contributor
90 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safari & Guide Services

It was more than adequate. The front and back of the tent are screen zip doors that you can see through. And the sides are screens as well. So visibility is excellent. At the time of year we were there the blackout flaps were up all the time. At night you could actually watch animals passing through the camp. Quite amazing.

If you'd like photos, email me at the address below.

Robb High & Carol Bohdan

robbhigh@gmail.

Get answers to your questions about Moremi Game Reserve
More Moremi Game Reserve Topics