We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moremi vs Chobe in September

Canberra
Level Contributor
8 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Moremi vs Chobe in September

Hi,

I have ten days, self drive, camping to spread between Moremi and Chobe in September 2013 and I'm interested in hearing from those who have visited both in the dry as to what they recommend.

For info - I have done plenty of safaris throughout Africa but never in Botswana. I am looking for good photographic opps of the more unusual animals and action i.e., serval, caracal, wild dog etc or hunting action by lions, cheetah etc. I know this is all down to luck, timing etc but it also down to prey and predator populations and the local landscape - in particular water availability. I am also interested in hearing how used the animals are to vehicles and how close the vantage points are to the water sources (for those good photos:)

I'll have a 4WD and am not concerned by the possibly difficult roads - but am interested in the impact this has on enjoying the game viewing.

Cheers,

Dave

tennessee
Level Contributor
258 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moremi vs Chobe in September

Where in Chobe are you considering? Savuti?

Canberra
Level Contributor
8 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moremi vs Chobe in September

Third Bridge and Xakanaxa in Moremi. Savuti and Ihaha in Chobe.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Moremi vs Chobe in September

I spent few nights in the Xakanaxa part of the public Moremi and Savuti part of chobe. I was not in a self drive and utilized on camp vehicles - okuti, Xakanaxa camp, savute safari lodge etc.

The photographic experiences are challenging with some limitations as offroading is not permitted when comparing it the private reserves in okavango delta. i spent around 6 weeks on a botswana safari in private part of okavango delta and saw far more "unusual animals" than in the public part of moremi on one to one comparison. the other factor is vehicle traffic. alot of first time self drive visitors have not concept of avoid congregation of vehicles in the public moremi area when they hit a jack pot. a standard spot of lions (not a jackpot) - we had 10 vehicles around while in the private, the guides adhere to a maximum of 2-3 on viewing depending on where you are staying, and they intentionally avoid meeting up with vehicles until the present ones have dispersed.

You can see picasa online gallery of okavango delta / moremi experience at https:/…

Look for okuti camp, Xakanaxa camp safari photos to see the experiences there compare it to private options such as chitabe, tubu tree, little kwara etc.

The Savuti chobe photos are at https:/…SavuteSafariLodgeChobeSafari

If you have budget for experience the private part in okavango delta, go for it.

Visram

AfricanMecca Safaris

Canberra
Level Contributor
8 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moremi vs Chobe in September

Thanks for those comments Visram. I am actually not a fan of the guided lodge safaris as I find them a bit canned and they generally don't meet my requirements unless I hire a vehicle just for myself. Having said that, they can lead to some great experiences as your photos testify. The ability to drive off road as well as get out and walk and do night drives are all very significant advantages of the private camps and I'll also be spending a bit of time at the likes of Mankwe to do some of this myself (not quite the same quality of experience I know). Above all I still like the 'thrill' of finding the game myself rather than using guides in radio contact who know were most of the game hang out. I just have to accept that my photographic opportunities will generally be lessor as a result. Having said that, looking at your photos, I might have more of a think about this.

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Moremi vs Chobe in September

I suggest you replace North Gate with the bush camping at Khwai Development Trust. Reports have been excellent wildlife sightings, including wild dog and leopard. No facilities, bush camping.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Moremi vs Chobe in September

you are very welcome. As you mention you have never been to Botswana, the private reserve experiences here are uncanned and there are no wildlife guarantees - let me assure you that.

safaris in south africa are scripted as most lie within farm or private lands converted into game reserves with exception of national parks which also attracts the masses. you only want such an experience if you want to check mark the big five as there is 90% guarantee seeing them in areas that market it.

i feel your love of Australians wanting more thrill doing a self drive and that is fine if you know the limitations and expectations of it but the idea behind guided safaris and using on camp vehicle is the advantage of utilizing a guide who lives in the park. if he saw lions, dogs, pregnant implala the morning or the day before, he knows where they where last and track from there. in botswana, we hardly used radio communication and most of my perfect photo opportunities were tracked independently by my guide. remember these guides live day and day out in the park - they have insider knowledge and information.

think about it. may be combine one portion as private in okavango delta and the other self drive to savute chobe from kasane to quench your thirst - i feel it.

Visram

AfricanMecca Safaris

Edited: 18 October 2012, 10:51
New York
Level Contributor
120 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moremi vs Chobe in September

We spent four wonderful days in Chobe National Park in September 2012. We used a private guide who was an amazing tracker and so we saw them all . . . lions on the hunt, elephants and babies, etc.

We constantly met up with self-drive groups.

We have two suggestions: (1) keep an eye out for guides to help identify the best viewing and (2) watch out for the sand . . . we saw more than one self-drive stuck . . . a dangerous problem if it's late in the day.

8. Re: Moremi vs Chobe in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Moremi Game Reserve
Recent Conversations
More Moremi Game Reserve Topics