We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Foum Zguid to Tafraoute in one day?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
39 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
How to get from Foum Zguid to Tafraoute in one day?

Hi everyone,

We are going to Morroco later this May and want to make a trip Marrakesh- Ouarzazate- Foum Zguid- Tata - Igherm - Tafraoute - Sidi Ifni by rented car.

Could anyone advise me if it is possible to make Foum Zguid- Tafraoute piece in one day by small car like Fiat Panda or similar?

How is road there and how much time could it take?

If is it not doable, I will have to rethink my itinerary - I wanted so much to go this way!

Your help will be the most appreciated.

Sincerely,

Audra

Vallee d'Ait Mansour
Nature & Wildlife Areas
Painted Rocks
Points of Interest & Landmarks
i-Tours - Day Tour
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Cultural Tours
10 replies to this topic
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,286 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Foum Zguid to Tafraoute in one day?

Yes, very easy. I travel fairly slowly and would reckon on 6 hours taking it easy.

On the N12 there's a sharp left bend as you leave Tissint. Turn right here for 200m on a track for the small waterfalls, popular swimming place. Then when you restart on the N12 you are running along a deep gorge to your right. Stop here for photos and have a little explore.

You will go via Ighrem which looks a wild place but is actually a friendly village to stop for a coffee or tea.

At Tafraoute you should try the prune, almond and beef tagine in the Etoile café on the square.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
39 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Foum Zguid to Tafraoute in one day?

What a good news! Thank you so much, Tim.

I was so excited about this trip that could not think any other routes and so stuck with my planing.

Now I will start to order places to overnight and dream about nice holidays.

Thank you once again, and I will definitely follow your suggestion for tagine.

I hope we will have time to explore beautiful valley around Tafraoute and then to cool out on the coast.

Is is worth to go to Essaouira then? We will take plane back home from Agadir, so this means that we would need to make additional 360 km to see it.

And maybe I have planed too many (3) days to spend in Marrakesh, one less would allow us to make a stop on our way to Essaouira?

As my husband is obsessed photographer, we won't be able to make long trips a day.

My best regards,

Audra

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,286 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from Foum Zguid to Tafraoute in one day?

I would skip Essaouira and concentrate on spending time in and around Tafraoute and on the coast near Sidi Ifni. Some photographs...

Three Agadirs route: you will travel on the tarmac section of this from Ighrem to Tafraoute but the agadirs are offroad, so not for you - morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Painted rocks: just a few km south of Tafraoute. You can reach this by road, hence the photo of a motorhome at one point - morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Ait Mansour gorge: although some of this is gravel road it's OK for cars, from Tafrouate you go down the Tazrite gorge then back to Tafraoute up the Ait Mansour - morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Sidi Ifni to Mirleft: lovely towns and scenery - morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
39 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from Foum Zguid to Tafraoute in one day?

Thanks a lot.

If not you, I would not go that way, which I believe (and now see from your photographs) is just wonderful. Now I am calm and looking forward to amazing experience.

We will follow your advise to skip Essaouira and better relax somewhere on the coast or maybe try to stroll to Tan Tan plage (? :)).

Thank you once again.

Sincerely,

audra

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
39 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from Foum Zguid to Tafraoute in one day?

Hello,

I am already back from Morocco tour. It was amazing! Of course, we did this piece from Foum Zguid to Tafraoute and much more! All together it was 1600km over 8 days, starting from Marrakesh, going to Ait Ben Haddou, Foum Zguid, half way to Akka and back, Tafraoute, Tiznit, Mirleft, Sidi Infi, Gouelmim, and finally Adagir. Now I am trying to get back to normal life, not easy....

Tim, I did not keep the promise to try this magnificent tajine, while it was in my plans.We overnighted at Auberge Chez Amalyia just before Tafraoute and next morning headed for Ait Mansour. As you advised, I thought we would go back to Tafraoute and it would be just right time to stop for good tajine. However, soon it became obvious that we would not go back the same way - the views were astonishing, so the road - climbing to the mountains, then going to the gorge, we were progressing very slowly not to mention constant stops for making photos. The views were incredible! So tajine was sacrificed for getting a bit faster to Tiznit....(there is narrow but paved and not crowded road to Tiznit via Elkmens Ait Ouafka and the views are very nice). We thought - next time! So many people return to Morocco again and again - why don't us? Ait Mansour was gorgeous - perhaps the most impressive sight over our trip! And the whole route was amazing, so different: mountains of all sorts (except snowy caps - we missed Toubkal), oasis with palmerae, o bit of desert near Akka, ocean and beaches! Not to mention kasbashs, small villages and unusual cities - Marrakesh seemed a crazy place on the first day!

So we got a very first glance on Morocco, to understand it a bit one needs to come once again. And we did not see a real desert, only the beginning of it, (plus tajine!), for sure we have an agenda for the next visit.

I already bought a tajine pot here in Brussels and next week will do a Moroccan party for my friends. Some 1134 photos awaiting to be reviewed and ordered before.

Thank you once again for your generous advise, it was a very good route!

Best regards,

Audrone

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,286 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get from Foum Zguid to Tafraoute in one day?

Thanks for coming back and taking the time to do a write-up. Yes, Morocco can get under your skin. I reckon in the last 40 years I've spent an accumulated three years here.

Witney, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get from Foum Zguid to Tafraoute in one day?

Tim you are clearly an expert on this area! My question (we are planning a trip in early November) is whether it is ok to travel east from Foum Zguid to Zagora in a VW 7 seater non 4 WD and if so how long could we expect to take?

Thanks Tim Walker

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,286 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get from Foum Zguid to Tafraoute in one day?

The northern route from FZ to Zagora is slowly being converted into a tarmac road (it's supposed to be the N12), but AFAIK it's still 30km gravel road, then 30km sandy piste, then 30km gravel road.

So no, not suitable for the vehicle you mention unless the driver knows better.

Witney, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get from Foum Zguid to Tafraoute in one day?

OK Tim thanks so much. We are doing a round trip from Agadir to M'hamid in 7 days and your correspondence above about Tafraoute caught my eye. I am now thinking that we will go via Talouine, Tazenakht and Agdz (missing out Foum Zguid) going one way via Taroudant and the other way via Igherm and Tafraoute. Any comments or refinements gratefully received.

Tim Walker

reykjavik
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get from Foum Zguid to Tafraoute in one day?

Hi does anyone know if it is possible to travel from Imlil ( Jebel Toubkal ) to Tafraoute ?

Reply to: How to get from Foum Zguid to Tafraoute in one day?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tafraoute