We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from Luderitz to Big Daddy dune?

Which Luderitz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
3 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
from Luderitz to Big Daddy dune?

Hi Travelers,

Is it possible to go from Ludertz to Big Daddy and then on to Walvis Bay starting one morning and finishing the next afternoon?

Along these same lines where would one stay the first night?

In other words can you drive, fly or get a ride from Ludertz one morning about 9:00 AM and make it into the biggest dunes (big daddy & big momma), stay nearby overnight and then drive or fly to Walvis bay by early the next afternoon.4:00 PM.

I am on a cruise that stops at Luderitz one day and then Walvis bay the next day.

TIA,

Shane

8 replies to this topic
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from Luderitz to Big Daddy dune?

I would say, realistically, "No".

Sure, if you get all your ducks in a row, and can find a car to drive you there....you might get there (Sesriem) late afternoon; stay overnight; up before dawn to get in and see dunes, then back out about 9am for drive to Walvis Bay...

Or, charter a plane - yes, you could do that. No problem, apart from cost.

I'd suggest you stick with the attractions around Luderitz (and Walvis Bay). There are plenty that don't involve a 10 hour drive.

You can get regular flights from Swakopmund (near WB) over the dunes. That might be a decent compromise. Certainly very scenic.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,795 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from Luderitz to Big Daddy dune?

As Peter.

Is it possible? Yes. Would I do it? Not really.

1. You are leaving Luderitz far too late to get to the Sesreim area at any meaningful time. Your route is 100km of good tar and then maybe 300 of dirt roads. That means a 6-7 hour drive. ETA 15.00 at best.

2. Go up the dune as early as you can next morning and arrive Walvis at maybe 15.00 again.

I would not like that type of deadline for a boat leaving that afternoon/evening.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
3 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from Luderitz to Big Daddy dune?

Thanks Folks,

I've spent 3 weeks in Namibia on my owh, but I will be there on a cruise with my wife and she wanted to see the dunes, of course. The dunes were fantastic, so I was trying to find a way for her to see them. Maybe next time.

Thanks again,

Shane

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
3 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: from Luderitz to Big Daddy dune?

Hi,

Any suggestions on how to book such a flight over the internet, I'm in the US?

Thanks,

Shane

Walvis Bay, Namibia
Level Contributor
40 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: from Luderitz to Big Daddy dune?

According to Wikipedia, Big Daddy is the same dune as Dune 7, near Walvis Bay and they states that according to the Namibian Ministry of Environment, this dune and Big Mama, is the highest dunes in the world. Dune 7, about 100m is not even the highest peak in the small dune belt between Walvis Bay and Swakopmund. The high dune next to Dead Vlei is about 300 m high and about as high as they get near Sossusvlei. I agree, driving from Luderitz to Sossus and then to Walvis Bay, is unpractical. The flying option is good, but you do not get on/near a high dune. Another viable option to get to high dunes is a 4X4 half day tour from Walvis Bay to Sandwich Harbour (55km) or to Rooibank, 30km from Walvis Bay, at the northern border of the Namibian Sand Sea. Go to Google Earth and you'll see the high dunes are spectacular, but unknown to most tourists. Look in tripadvisor for operators who can take you there.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,795 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: from Luderitz to Big Daddy dune?

As above. Dune 7 is just off the C14 on the airport road. It is not particularly high at 100m but it IS for that area. Hence its popularity.

The climable Dunes near Sossusvlei, number 45, to the south of the road is much higher at around 300m. As is the one just east of Deadvlei.

Whether they have names like Big Daddy or Little Mammy or even Red Riding Hood's Grandmother I have no idea. It is a heap of sand!

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: from Luderitz to Big Daddy dune?

Most of there cruise boats coming in to Walvis Bay are there long enough for a day excursion or at least a half day. I have picked clients up off there boats and seen vehicles from Turnstone Tours, Tommys, Living Desert Adventures and others. All there offer great dune experiences. Maybe contact one of them and see what they have happening that day. I know they cater for the cruise ships.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: from Luderitz to Big Daddy dune?

Try Pleasure Flights.

Reply to: from Luderitz to Big Daddy dune?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Luderitz
More Luderitz Topics