We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What not to miss in KZN!

Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
What not to miss in KZN!

Hi

My hubby and I are taking a 10 day break in KZN next month (Feb 2012) and will be driving there from Jo'berg.

What should we absolutely NOT miss....?

Any input is most appreciated :)

Thanks

Shelly Beach, South...
Level Contributor
256 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What not to miss in KZN!

There is so much - but here are a few of my favorites

A game drive in Hluhluwe

A boat trip at St Lucia

Visit the Moses Madiba stadium in Durban

drive up Sani pass in a 4 x 4

Oribi Gorge on the South Coast

enjoy yourself

geneva
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What not to miss in KZN!

Kosi bay, Hluhluwe...a visit to Ilala weavers, they've put together a nice little exhibit of traditional Zulu baskets and other tools for daily life...

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What not to miss in KZN!

If you are interested in South African and British Colonial History visit the Battlefilds area and get a guided tour round some of the main battlefield sites such as Rorkes Drift and Isandlwana.

The great wall of the Drakensberg Mountains stretching along the whole western border of KZN with Lesotho. Particularly the Ampitheatre and the Tugela Falls (the world's second hiighest waterfall).

Many other Wildlife parks such as Ithala (my favourite), Mkuzi and Tembe.

The Midlands Meander. Rural "English style" villages with lots of Arts and Crafts workshops, restaurants and country hotels..

Beaches stretching from the North to the South of the province along the warm Indian Ocean

Great Dive sites offshore such as Aliwal Shoal

The Victorian Architecture and Museums of Pietermaritzburg

The Hindu and Mosllem culture of the Indian Community in Durban - the Victoria Markets.

Outside the Cape definitely my favourite holiday area of South Africa!

Hoedspruit...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What not to miss in KZN!

Just got back from St. Lucia (stayed in Monzi country cottage, 15 minutes out of town) and in this area I would recommend:

*The local beach in St. Lucia. From 16:00 in the afternoon is the best time.

* Crocodile ranch St. Lucia.

* Boattrip on the lake.

* Drive to Cape Vidal.

Hluwehluwe-Imfolozi is a beautiful park, with amazing views. Game we didn't see so much as in the Kruger, but it certainly is worth a day visit.

Regards from the warm bush,

Corné.

-Owner/manager Amukela Game Lodge-

-Balule NR - Greater Kruger Park-

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What not to miss in KZN!

As Van de Caab has stated, a visit to the Battlefields is a must. To ensure that you get the vary best experience when visiting Rorke's Drift & Islandwana, make sure that you stay at Fugitives' Drift. Their guided tours are by far the best & if you're fit then following the fugitives' trail is a very special experience.

The bodies of the first 2 recipients of posthumous Victoria Crosses are buried on the Fugitives' Drift property, by the Buffalo river. Like all of the memorials & monuments, they are beautifully cared for by the South African authorities.

http://www.fugitives-drift-lodge.com/?about

Earth
Level Contributor
441 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What not to miss in KZN!

>Corne_1969

What do you think is the best route from St Lucia to Kruger Gate? How long will the trip take and can you recommend a place to overnight if the trip will last beyond dusk? Thanks

Balule Nature...
Level Contributor
135 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What not to miss in KZN!

We drove from St. Lucia to Pongola-Piet-Retief-Amsterdam-Badplaas-Barberton.

Now if you want to enter the Paul Kruger Gate, the logic route will be from Barberton-Nelspruit-Hazyview.

We drove from Barberton to Malelane and enter the Kruger park there.

Took us about 7,5 hours to Malelane, we left around 07:00 from St. Lucia. So dusk won't bother you.

Regards,

Corné.

-Owner/manager Amukela Game Lodge-

-Balule NR - Greater Kruger Park-

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What not to miss in KZN!

Hi Corne

What is the N2 north of Pongola like these days. When we were that way a few months ago the road works were a nightmare - probably around 2 hours total delay. Have they progressed? Although presumably you were there over the Holiday shutdown/Builder's holiday?

A better route from St Lucia to Kruger (which we took on the may back) is to drive through Swaziland. Except at peak times border crossings take no more than 15 mins (especially at the newly upgraded crossing post at Golela going into Swazi from St Lucia direction. The roads in Swazi and good and, especially south of Mbabane you can make good speed.

For an overnight, if you wanted to break the journey, you could look at Mlilwane National Park www.biggameparks.org/3parks_mlilwane.html

Or, if you want luxury, one of the big tourist hotels along the road between Mbabane and Mlilwane. suninternational.com/Destinations/Resorts/Ro…

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What not to miss in KZN!

The road is still a nightmare. Delays of up to three hours are common. Whilst I do know people that have hit them right and sailed through. I would definitely go through Swaziland rather than around the side. The only reason not to, is costs if you are not on a local passport. Personally we still drove through even though my wife was on a British passport and it cost her R500. Saved hours off the trip.

As I love the water. Try Aliwal Shoal for shark dives ( www.agulhashouse.com ), Sodwana Bay ( www.reefteach.co.za ) also I love uShaka Marine World.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What not to miss in KZN!

Hi Brett

Thanks for the update on the N2 road conditions. It seems to me that the complete N2 upgrade will not be finished for another couple of years so normally the Swaziland route is the quickest - and it's a nice country to visit.

But then I don't understand why your wife, if she has a British Passport, had to pay R500. There is certainly no Visa requirement for British Passport holders entering Swaziland - neither for SADC, Australian, Canadian, US and most EU passports (not "new" EU countries).

Both my wife and myself travel on UK Passports (presumably like your wife with SA ID). I would certainly remember if it cost us R1,000 every time we entered Swaziland - which we have done three times in recent years!! Just checked my passport and all I have are Entry and Exit Stamps - no Visas.

I think you do need to pay R50 road tax per vehicle on entering Swazi but that applies to all non-Swazi vehicles - which will mostly be SA registered.

Edited: 11 January 2012, 13:04