We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can i drive in South Africa with a full UK driving licence?

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Can i drive in South Africa with a full UK driving licence?

I have a full UK driving licence with picture on it. Am i allowed to drive a car in South Africa?

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can i drive in South Africa with a full UK driving licence?

Hi Matt,

see this link southafrica.info/travel/advice/driving.htm

It is advisable to check with your car hire company that they do not maybe require an International driving licence.

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
656 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can i drive in South Africa with a full UK driving licence?

Yes you can but you need the paper part of the license AND the photo ID. You have to keep your license with you at all times when driving in SA. We were asked for ours by a random police stop last time we visited.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can i drive in South Africa with a full UK driving licence?

And - as I have mentioned in earlier threads - check to see if the 'red triangle' is in the car before you drive away in it. The police who patrol the roadways will very likely ask to see it and will give you a ticket if it is not there.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can i drive in South Africa with a full UK driving licence?

As long as it's in English you don't need an International license.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
851 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can i drive in South Africa with a full UK driving licence?

Doesn't have to be in english either , we have driven in SA for years with our french licences and never had a problem with hired cars or at police checks.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
112 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can i drive in South Africa with a full UK driving licence?

We drove around south africa for a year and only once we were asked for our international licence entering Swaziland. I think it might depend on who stops you.

Croydon, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Can i drive in South Africa with a full UK driving licence?

Thanks , these comments were quite useful!! I'll take my license card with photo and counterpart with - just for incase... ;)

8. Re: Can i drive in South Africa with a full UK driving licence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 16:15