We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hluhluwe Imfolozi Map

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
113 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Hluhluwe Imfolozi Map

Hi - i have four nights booked at Mpila later this year.

Several people have made reference to a guide/map book which can be purchased when you enter the reserve. Does anybody know if this can be purchased in advance (ideally online) to help me familiarize myself with the place?

I have e.mailed them direct but haven't had a response yet.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hluhluwe Imfolozi Map

Hello bluesy, It’s a Honeyguide Publication "Maps of the Zululand and Mapatuland Reserves” and I am sad to report you won’t get online. I have rued the day I didn’t buy 3 copies when I was there the first time way back and last trip as well. However, you can purchase at the gates for R 45 … worth every penny. You will love Mpila and despite the maps being a tad out dated it is worthwhile. I had 4 x 4 the last trip 2013 and wouldn’t bother with those loops there. Have been to Hluluhwe , Imfolozi ,Mkuze, Tembe, Ndumo , Isamangaliso, Kosi and Sodwana Bay, and St Lucia and the booklet was invaluable. My 2nd copy is tattered but held together with Sellotape and you will love KZN. Hooks you in.. PS make sure to not entice the Vervets lol they even try toothpaste if cap off.

Mentioned in this post
Zululand
Zululand
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
St Lucia
St Lucia
Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hluhluwe Imfolozi Map

Hello and as above it can't be purchased on line. I do have a new map book and am happy to send a copy of the page you need. I have been to Imfolozi-Hluhluwe over a dozen times. Its a wonderful reserve in a stunning province!

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
113 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hluhluwe Imfolozi Map

Thanks for the info, stargaize. I know what I am looking for now.

Mark, I would like take you up on your kind offer and have sent you an e.mail.

Thanks again.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hluhluwe Imfolozi Map

Welcome enjoy Mpila ( watch Hyenas at braai LOL )

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hluhluwe Imfolozi Map

Hi Mark,

I have now bought some maps in order to plan our route but nothing is much clearer as of course the map gives distances but not indication of terrain or road condition. We are thinking along the lines of-

UK-Durban

drive to Hluhlwewe for a day or so,

onto St Lucia for 3/4 days.

across to Dundee for a few days visiting the Battlefields

Dundee, to a base that is central to both Royal Natal and Ukhahlamba National parks (Bergville, Estcourt, Winterton? )

then a slow Meander back to Durban for beach time.

My difficulty is that I cannot find a route from either Hluhl. to Dundee or St. Lucia to Dundee, the map shows just a network of minor roads !

I'm also not clear if it is possible to enter through one gate at Hluwhl. and exit through a gate in Imfolozi. My map indicates that there is no road that goes through both parks.

some of your (or others) great tips would be well received.

thanks

Mentioned in this post
St Lucia
St Lucia
Dundee
Dundee
Estcourt
Estcourt
Durban
Durban
Salt Rock, South...
Level Contributor
255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hluhluwe Imfolozi Map

Hi, here's your route out of Hluhluwe iMfolozi Game Park to Dundee.

http://goo.gl/maps/G6Zo9

You exit the park gate and turn left onto the R618 which runs between the two parts of the park.

Yes, you can enter and exit at any of the three gates in the park, just make sure you have your entry document to give in when you exit the park.

Cheers

Ian

Mentioned in this post
Dundee
Dundee
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hluhluwe Imfolozi Map

thanks 075,

the route is clearer now, Vryheid is infact off the top of my map so I didn't notice that route.

the time states 3.5 hours is this realistic.

Is it quicker than Dundee via R68/R34 Richards Bay then up to on the N2?

we are also considering just a day trip to the game park from St. Lucia , is that feasible ? I have been on 3 safaris in Kenya and Namibia so a day trip would be OK with us.

we could also do the route in the opposite direction if there is any advantage .

Mentioned in this post
Dundee
Dundee
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hluhluwe Imfolozi Map

Good info from Jack. And, as you can also see the whole of this route is available on Street View so if you want to see what the "terrain or road condition" is like at any point along the route just drag the "Orange Man" onto the route at any point and you can look around in any direction. Even the stretch inside the park. Amazing what technolgy can do these days!

You will also see that the roads are basically in good condition the whole route and the traffic is extremely light - you hardly see any other vehicles! So the driving time of 3hrs 23 min is probably realistic. You can even see that some of the narrower stretches of the R618 were being upgraded and widened at the time the Google Camera Vehicle went that way. Probably a couple of years ago. So hopefully now even this bit is finished!

Edited: 06 January 2014, 14:43
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hluhluwe Imfolozi Map

I see that the Image Dates on the R618 were March 2010 so I certainly hope the roadworks are finished nearly four years later!!

Salt Rock, South...
Level Contributor
255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hluhluwe Imfolozi Map

we are also considering just a day trip to the game park from St. Lucia , is that feasible ?

Yes, absolutely. gates open at 05h00 in summer and 06h00 in winter. Best game is definitely in the iMfolozi section and if you can stretch a bit on you car hire go for a SUV like a X Trail.

Take a picnic breakfast with you, there are sites at Mpila camp, on the tar road between the entrance and Mpila camp and on Suntuli loop. Then if you stay in the park all day head up to Hilltop camp restaurant for a late lunch at the restaurant and then either exit at the northern gate or drive back down to the main gate.

Cheers

Ian

Get answers to your questions about Hluhluwe Game Reserve