We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hluhluwe safaris whether to stay in reserve or st Lucia

england
Level Contributor
33 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
hluhluwe safaris whether to stay in reserve or st Lucia

We are a family of 4 our children are 5 and 10 we are trying to decide how to spend our last 4 nights in jan (1st week) we are currently booked to stay in st Lucia for 4 nights but wanted to do 2 game drives in the north and then the south of the park are we best staying in st Lucia and heading into the parks for 2 separate days or is this a bad idea although we will have a hire car we wanted to use a guide and jeep to do this - can you book this at the park or should we precook with a company like heritage tours. We were also wondering whether we would be better staying at mlipa camp for 2 days to save on the driving and for the children to have more of a safari experience without the cost if a private game reserve? Or is hilltop better for seeing game from your accommodation? If we stay on the reserve do we still book a safari with a company like heritage and meet them somewhere or does the camp arrange this? Sorry for so many questions any advice is very much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
St Lucia
St Lucia
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hluhluwe safaris whether to stay in reserve or st Lucia

Hello and I have been that way quite a few times. I would say get yourselves into the park and stay for a couple of nights there. The drive from St Lucia is well over an hour to the southern Nyalazi Gate and to get the most from the reserve you need to be there at first light. It will more than likely be hot in January so animal movements will slow from dawn until mid afternoon. Take a look at KZN Wildlife and the chalets and cottages in and around Mpila Camp. Its self catering and self drive, though you can book drives with a guide at reception. You will have to check if they will take a 5 year old. You can also book pvt game viewers to collect you from camp. Otherwise Hilltop in Hluhluwe has a pool, bar and restaurant, but its a little more hotel like.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Mentioned in this post
St Lucia
St Lucia
Hluhluwe
Hluhluwe
Zululand, South Africa
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hluhluwe safaris whether to stay in reserve or st Lucia

If you intend to do game drives every day, then Mark's advice is 100% spot on. Just being IN the reserve through the end of day, overnight, at dawn - is an experience of its own that has nothing to do with the wildlife.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

england
Level Contributor
33 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hluhluwe safaris whether to stay in reserve or st Lucia

Thank you so much for the info - we are only planning 1 game drive as want to do other stuff around st Lucia - we are staying there for 4 nights - do you think we should stay at Milpa the night before the game drive - do you see animals from the camp - will it be fun for the children? Thanks again

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hluhluwe safaris whether to stay in reserve or st Lucia

Hello again and I would stay the night there. There are animals around Impila camp, vervet monkeys, impala and warthog manly. However there are also hyena and very occasionally lion and bigger game as the camp is not fenced. There is something special about the night there. Stock up with supplies in St Lucia and drive to Hluhluwe gate and wind back down to Impila camp getting there for just after lunch. Check in to chalet, book a game drive and then take a self drive in Imfolozi. Get back and cook dinner before dark and enjoy the sounds of the night.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Mentioned in this post
St Lucia
St Lucia
Hluhluwe
Hluhluwe
Zululand, South Africa
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hluhluwe safaris whether to stay in reserve or st Lucia

Definitely stay in Mpila camp. You might see a Warthog or a Hyena through you patio window. We were there 2 nights ago and saw Elephants, Rhinos, Giraffe, Hippos, Buffalo. In January very busy so book your accommodation asap. Now in St Lucia and when you come visit both sides of the Wetland Park. The newly opened west is unspoilt with a wonderful new unpublicised boardwalk. Ask at the gate.

Mentioned in this post
St Lucia
St Lucia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hluhluwe safaris whether to stay in reserve or st Lucia

Hi. We are planning a very similar trip for July 2016. Our kids will be 11 & 14. I'm very interested to hear how your holiday went, & whether you decided to do day trips into Imfolozi from St Lucia, or ended up staying at Mpila Camp. Any advice, particularly on road conditions, would be very much appreciated. Also, would anyone be able to recommend a good driving route from either Mpila Camp or St Lucia, to Rorkes' Drift?. We will hire a 4WD, but are not experienced off roaders. Approx. driving times / distances would be very helpful. ManyThanks

Mentioned in this post
St Lucia
St Lucia
Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hluhluwe safaris whether to stay in reserve or st Lucia

Hello and I have visited Hlihluwe-Imfolozi many times. We have holidayed in that area of Zululand a lot including the St Lucia area. For me its stunning with so much to do and see. July is winter and great for game (and whale) viewing. Its normally warm with cool evenings. The roads in the area are generally good but avoid driving after dark due to people and livestock walking on the roads. You really don't need a 4WD butit wil give extra height for game viewing. Check out Google maps for routes. They are quite accurate but allow a little extra time from what they suggest. I would think the best way is via Pongola, Vryheid, Dundee.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Mentioned in this post
St Lucia
St Lucia
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,271 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hluhluwe safaris whether to stay in reserve or st Lucia

my trip reports may be useful for you, dated 14/15/18 March 2015

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293740-i9186-k7…

Always ask your accommodation hosts for the recommended routes, they have up to date knowledge on the state of the roads . Between the time of booking our lodge at Rorke's Drift and actually going, the road had been greatly repaired and improved.

we toured in an ordinary sedan and only once fellt the need for a 4x4 , which was one of the loops near memory gate in Hluhluwe . Several of the roads around the Battlefields are gravel , just a little care is required.

On a differnet note, i assume you are aware of the new rules relating to the documents required for bringing your children into the country.

Edited: 24 June 2015, 08:32
9. Re: hluhluwe safaris whether to stay in reserve or st Lucia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2016, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about Hluhluwe Game Reserve