We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-3 night safari staying in the reserve itself.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
2-3 night safari staying in the reserve itself.

Hey all,

We're looking on doing a 2-3 day safari at hluhluwe game reserve and we're keen to stay on the site itself.

We're not needing great comfort (but a decent bed and roof).

Any recommendations?

6 replies to this topic
Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-3 night safari staying in the reserve itself.

Hello and there are a few options. Hilltop at Hluhlue is quite commercial with choices of rooms. There is also a bar & restaurant there. If you are considering self catering, which is easy to do, then look at the southern iMfolozi section. Mpila camp has chalets and safari tents. Plus there is Nselweni which a lovely community managed camp. Take a look at www.safarikzn.com.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Shelly Beach, South...
Level Contributor
251 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-3 night safari staying in the reserve itself.

We loved the tented camp at Mpila, the tents are very well equipped with comfortable beds but are tucked in the vegetation so you get the lovely 'bush' experience. Mplia is not fenced so you can also see some animals right from your deck - we had implala and warthog to watch every morning and the hyenas will take meat off your barbeque if you leave it unattended.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-3 night safari staying in the reserve itself.

Thanks for the replies. We've booked two nights at the hilltop camp and I'll be sure to report how it all goes.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
360 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-3 night safari staying in the reserve itself.

Hello, jumping in here with a question about lunch while driving about. We will also be at Hilltop 2 nights next month, shall we plan on having plenty of food with us in the car during the day, or are there small picnic stops like Kruger has where we might buy sandwiches, drinks etc.?

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
105 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-3 night safari staying in the reserve itself.

Hi

I would take your own food. We have just returned from staying at Mpila for four nights. They had some chocolate bars but had ran out of crisps (and maps!) We stopped at Hilltop for a coffee but the machine wasn't working for anything beyond a basic tea and coffee. We also ordered two scones with cream and jam- only one had jam and both had cheese! I'm not complaining. I loved the place but suggesting you don't rely on them for food.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
360 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2-3 night safari staying in the reserve itself.

Oy vey, thanks for the info! We will stock up.

Reply to: 2-3 night safari staying in the reserve itself.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted