We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bodega advice required

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Bodega advice required

We will be in Cafayate for one night in mid November, arriving around mid day and wish to visit one of the vineyards. Looking through the internet, I seem spoiled for choice and am finding it difficult to choose. My wife and I have a preference for white wines but don't object to the odd glass of Malbec! Is it sensible to visit more than one? If it makes any difference we are staying at Vinas de Cafayate. Any help in narrowing down the search would be gratefully received.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,560 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bodega advice required

Nanni, is the only organic certified wine... Finca Las nubes has a nice view in the afternoon... Domingo Hermanos is the most... popular... You have no much time so keep this three in mind... Do not miss the Farm... Cabras de Cafayate....

Angie/Giena

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
368 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bodega advice required

You will find about 6 vineyards within 2 km and some very close to the town. Nanni was one of my favs (Malbec) and the gata flora white wine was another favourite. Get some bikes and go around the vineyards and go up to rio colardo and there is a beautiful scenic winery there with a very informative wine tour.

The goats cheese place is ok, but you can buy the goats cheese at the shops for 5 peso more.

If you want a nice meal go to El Rancho and the main square

Also try the vino ice cream at Melanda

Have fun

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bodega advice required

We just got back from a four-day stay at Vinas. It was great, and I'd definitely recommend having dinner there. As a white wine lover, you'll enjoy the Torrontes of Cafayate,. As for bodegas, lots of choices. We walked to Las Nubes one afternoon, which was nice. You could ask the staff at Vinas to set up a winery tour/tasting or two for you so that you are all set to go once you arrive. Enjoy!!!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bodega advice required

Sheryl, Trimatt and Giena, many thanks for the advice which has been most helpful in deciding what to do. Can't wait

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,560 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bodega advice required

My pleasure!

Angie/Giena

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bodega advice required

White wines are tough in Salta.... at least if you are a serious wine person. The only white made in Salta that is OK is Torrontes, and Im not a fan of the grape..... the future of Torrontes is still a few years away, in my opinion.

The best whites from Argentina are from Mendoza.

In Salta, the top red wines are made by Yacochuya, El Esteco and Colome. Im not a fan of Domingo Hermanos, and haven't tried the entire portfolio from Nanni, although they have one Petit Verdot that is very good.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
368 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bodega advice required

Personal tastes I guess. Serious wine drinker or not I personally enjoyed a lot of the sweet torrontes wines. Guess it's more about the experience and the opportunity than anything of getting to taste different wines at the vineyards. Mendoza does have good wines and are both beautiful places.

Sheryl

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bodega advice required

If you want a more personal experience, we had a lovely visit at El Porvenir in the town - the Expert Manager showed us around and then sat with us in the tasting room for an hour trying different wines. He was new to the winery but had a lot of experience in the area.

On other comments, there are a few people growing Sauv B, Chardonnay and one even growing Viognier so there's a bit of choice away from Torrontes - but the thing we enjoyed was tasting how different the Torrontes can be from different places..... (And lunch at Nanni was superb)

9. Re: Bodega advice required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Cafayate
Recent Conversations