We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salt Flats June/ July

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Salt Flats June/ July

Anyone looking to do a 3 day salt flat tour in the last week of June / early July? We'd like to group together to get a decent group and price

7 replies to this topic
Scotland, UK
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Salt Flats June/ July

Hi. Still looking? My husband and I are considering tours from either Tupiza or Uyuni to San Pedro de Atacama starting around the 28th or 29th of June. This company has a tour from Tupiza and, if four go, it is 1400 Bols per person:

www.tupizatours.com/eng/programas_lipez.php

They are a highly recommended company. Or we could make a group of 4 (I'm assuming) and go with another company that starts in Uyuni. Let me know ASAP if you are still looking!

Btw, we're from the UK....

Cheers,

Alison

London
Level Contributor
2,780 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salt Flats June/ July

we did our trip with Tupiza Tours last year (they were excellent!). we stayed at Hotel Mitru which is owned by TT prior to the trip and lots of people were forming groups there and then so even if you don't get any takers here you should be able to form a group without any hassle. you could also email Gladis at TT and tell her you are looking to form a group. she was very helpful.

Scotland, UK
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Salt Flats June/ July

Thanks. We decided to go from Uyuni with Quechua Connections....looking forward to it.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Salt Flats June/ July

Hi,

sounds like you had a great trip doing the Salar from Tupiza. Good tip about staying at hotel owned by tour operator. Can you tell me if you of any of your group, or other travellers you met suffered altitude sickness doing the 4x4 trip from Tupiza to Uyuni. I've read you ascend very high very quickly by this route as opposed to doing it in reverse or from San Pedro de Atacama. Finally, could you confirm it's a 4 day trek leaving Tupiza and not 3 as I believe is the case from San Pedro.

Cheers,

Pete

London
Level Contributor
2,780 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salt Flats June/ July

We had been at altitude for 3-4 months on and off and so were unaffected even at the highest points on the trip( c 5000m).. We were in sucre for a coupe, of weeks before Tupiza at an altitude of around 2500m A number of people seemed to be affected but not to any great effect. We met an Irish couple who were on the same tour who had come up from Salta in Argentina who were affected with bad headaches etc but nothing too serious and only for one night. Most people we met seemed fine.

It is a 3 night 4 day trek from Tupiza. Full details with photos are on our blog

…travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html

Entries 30-34 cover that trip.

London
Level Contributor
2,780 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salt Flats June/ July

Pete. I replied to your message on my blog but for some reason it keeps getting bounced back as an invalid address???

Anyway here is my reply

e chose to do the Uyuni trip from Tupiza partly because we had also read some of the horror stories about operators in Uyuni itself but also because, leaving for teh circuit from. Tupiza you miss the crowds of jeeps all arriving at easy site at the same time as you will be travelling in a different direction. Makes a huge difference! You also tend to get to the hostals earlier with a better chance of snagging the best rooms ( the operate on first come basi).

We arrived in Uyuni town around late morning - say 11.30. There was an optional trip to the train graveyard which only takes an hour. It was quite interesting but you could miss if you needed to get a bus to Sucre. I don't think it is worth staying overnight in Uyuni if you can avoid it.

The other alternative to consider is to do what we did. We got lunch and went with the driver to head back to Tupiza to get the bus to the border at Villazon / El Quica and on to Salta via Juy Juy. You could always check the bus times from Tupiza to Sucre ( it took us 8 hours in the opposite direction)

I don't know anything about the buses from Uyuni to Sucre or even if there are any. If you are in a hurry you could always fly to LP and directly on to Sucre not the cheapest option but would save a lot of time!

Email me if I can help there is anything else

Cheers

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Salt Flats June/ July

Cheers Crellston,

appreciate your efforts and info. Not sure why the email address was coming back as invalid, may have been a typo on my part.

Pete

Reply to: Salt Flats June/ July
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted