We went on a three days tour to the Salar and the lagoons and then back to Uyuni with Estrella del Sur tours. Generally we had a good time, the car did not break down, we were at all the spots at the good time. The food was good, the accommodation ok.
The problem that unnerved us a lot was the difference between what they promised us and what we really received. The guy at the office, Alberto, talked us into going with them by promising these little extras that they in the end did not offer. He said:
- there will be a radio with CD and a cable to connect the MP3 player. There was no radio at all.
- there will be heating and air-conditioning. There was no aircon, the heating was not working.
- there will be a modern car. Dust was coming in, so we had to close the windows (to avoid an under pressure in the car) and were sweating quite a lot, as the promised aircon was missing
- there will be eggs every morning. We only had them in the second morning
- there will be Coca Cola every evening. There was no Coke at all.
- there will be two bottles of wine and we could chose whether to have them both on the first evening or one each. When we asked for the second one on the first evening the driver had to buy one extra (after a long discussion).
The driver, Orlando, is generally a nice guy, but very shy, hardly ever talked to us (even though we speak Spanish ok). He was unnerved because of our complains but was not able to listen to our argument that we were generally satisfied but just pointed out all the things that were promised to us and were not there. We think he stole the second wine bottle as we saw two in the car before we shortly stopped at his house and we saw him entering the kitchen in the first morning with eggs even though we did not get any…
When we saw some of our bike traveler friends fighting their way through the sand, it took us ten minutes to convince Orlando to make the detour to bring them water. For what in the end were four minutes of driving he wanted 40 Bs for fuel expenses! On the last day, he was drinking (one) beer while driving…
We paid 500 Bs, which is a good price. For 550 we could have gone with Andrea Tours which made a very good impression, with a modest, nice lady in the office who probably is not lying like Alberto.