We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning to go to Salar de Uyuni In Mid November

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Planning to go to Salar de Uyuni In Mid November

Hi all,

I am planning a trip to Salar de Uyuni in mid- nov. Will I able to see the "water reflection" view? Anything that I need to pay attention to? I am going there by myself, will I have a problem joining a tour? Thanks!!!

Vicky

Salty Desert Aventours
Multi-day Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Andes Salt Expeditions Tour Operator
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Multi-day Tours, Day Trips
Expediciones Estrella Del Sur Bolivia
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,023 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning to go to Salar de Uyuni In Mid November

It's an amazing place - water or no water.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning to go to Salar de Uyuni In Mid November

vic I have yet to go but llike you Iam a single traveller. i contacted many companies. Many of the more upmarket tours only take Private groups so were of no use to me unless I wanted to pay heaps of money for just myself to do it.

One of these operators assured me that I would be able to find a group to join once I arrived there no problem at all. Infact this is what most of the guide books recommend.

I have had correspondence with a couple of companies as I do not like to leave things until the last moment. Let me knnow via a PM (click on my name under the picture of the cat and you will see this option) and I can tell you a few more details.

London, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning to go to Salar de Uyuni In Mid November

Take warm clothing, the nights are very cold. Also, take snacks and if you like sweet things, stock up on these in Uyuni before you go. Take toilet paper too as some of the overnight places do not have any. Sunscreen is a must, you get really burnt at high altitudes...

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning to go to Salar de Uyuni In Mid November

You probably wont get enough rain in November to have reflections but you never know. It is still worth seeing.

No need to panic or prebook at exorbitant rates. You will likely get on a same day tour as the 5th or 6th passenger. Last year I paid 700 bolivianos. November is not as cold at night which helps. Bring a 2-liter bottle of water per day, extra snacks (especially protein), bathing suit and a sense of Adventure.

Aberdeen, UK
Level Contributor
256 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning to go to Salar de Uyuni In Mid November

You will easily find a tour to join.

I agree pack warm clothes, one of the coldest places I have been to, we hit -25 Celsius at night last June.

It's amazing though!

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning to go to Salar de Uyuni In Mid November

June is much colder than November. You will still want warm jacket, hat & gloves especially the third morning when you get up at 5 am. But it will not be the extreme temps quoted above. During daytime we were fine in t-shirts. The manager of Blue Line said I wouldn't need a sleeping bag and she was right!

Another must bring is sunglasses. And yes on the TP in case of emergencies (all of our lodgings had it and I was on a cheap tour).

Edited: 02 August 2012, 19:28
7. Re: Planning to go to Salar de Uyuni In Mid November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2013, 10:16