We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2d 1n salt flats tour?

4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2d 1n salt flats tour?

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if any one has any knowledge or experience regarding a 2 day 1 night tour of the uyuni salt flats. I am only aware of Andes salt expeditions offering these tours and I am a little concerned about their reputation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Salty Desert Aventours
Multi-day Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Andes Salt Expeditions Tour Operator
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Multi-day Tours, Day Trips
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: 2d 1n salt flats tour?

Wow that is a lot of money. I think my entire 2 weeks in Bolivia cost less than $600.

Bologna, Italy
Level Contributor
413 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 2d 1n salt flats tour?

Yes, it is *definitely* a lot of money (and yes, Bolivia is a cheap country you can visit for 2 weeks with the same amount of money).

I was perfectly aware of that when booking.

Definitely a lot of money, but...

Usually I try saving money and for sure I am not the kind of traveller looking for luxury resort (where I have never been in the whole of my life...), but I knew that in the area "Reserva de fauna andina Eduardo Avaroa" (south of the salar and much higher and colder than the salar) the conditions are so extreme that I wanted to minimize risks at all costs.

By the way, our driver Wilson was also very capable in fixing car engines (indeed he told us it was his first job, years ago). On the last day of our tour we met two different cars stuck with problems their drivers were not capable of solving. The tourists travelling on those cars were going to remain many many hours stuck in the middle of nothing (in an area much more isolated than the salar itself at almost 5000 m. above sea level!) without the help of our driver. We appreciated having a driver who doesn't drink (not obvious at all, there) and can repair a car if necessary.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 2d 1n salt flats tour?

I had an awesome time on the 700 Bs. 3/2 tour, the driver didn't drink or drive dangerously, no one got sick from the food, and the accommodations were fully enclosed with mattresses (although no hot showers).

So I don't' have any regrets about chosing the "cheaper" pathway, I can spend that $500 another way.

Just walk around when you arrive in Uyuni, talk to arriving passengers, check out the vibe in the offices (I didn't like Andes Salt, for one!). I went with Blue Line, they came down in price to 700 Bs, and the agency in the Rosario Hotel uses them so I figured they must be as good as any of the cheap tours.

Edited: 18 October 2012, 16:22
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
798 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 2d 1n salt flats tour?

If I fly from La Paz to Uyuni and return, and want to visit the Salt Flats plus the Laguna Verde and Laguna Colorada, would 3D2N enough? Or 4D3N is better?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,821 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 2d 1n salt flats tour?

2 days to Laguna Verde and 2 days back = 4 days.

Might be done more quickly but it will be rushed.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
269 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 2d 1n salt flats tour?

What is the typical itinerary for a 2 day 1 night vs. 3 day 1 night itinerary?

I'm confused, since on wiki travel, the Laguna Verde is listed as being included as part of the 3 day tour. However, the last poster say it takes 4 days?

Also, where does reserva de fauna andina Eduardo Avaroa (mentioned by Ciuto) fit in?

I ask because I found out that I need to leave Bolivia 1 day earlier due to census day. I would like to learn as much as I can regarding the various places we will visit so we can decide what is "must-see" and what can be skipped.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,821 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 2d 1n salt flats tour?

No, I said it could be done more quickly, but it will be more rushed (or it will miss out some unknown stops).

We are talking about driving round a wilderness area with few roads. We stopped for an hour to watch flocks of flamingoes at Hotel Flamenco! I could see the driver was getting nervous as we still had a lot of miles to travel, and he didn't want to drive in the dark. For me, the flamingoes were a highlight, but they cannot be guaranteed....

So, if he had his way, we would have just have driven by the flamingoes and waved to them....so, yes, it can be done in 3 days.

Honkie was asking if 4 days would be better.....

Edited: 29 October 2012, 12:36
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,821 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 2d 1n salt flats tour?

"What is the typical itinerary for a 2 day 1 night vs. 3 day 1 night itinerary?"

This will vary. There are so many potential places. We had lunch and a tour of an island (Inca Huasi) in the middle of the Salar, whereas others may simply drive past it, and other tours may miss it out all together.

However, I got the impression most tours follow a set route. When watching the flamingoes, about 20 4x4s arrived for lunch, so we moved on to somewhere quieter....

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: 2d 1n salt flats tour?

Typical 3/2

Day 1

Leave when your jeep is full, and go to the train graveyard, then to have lunch (some do it in Colchani, some at Hotel de Sal). I had a llama steak in Colchani that was delicious/. Continue on to the Salar, visit Hotel de Sal, Fish Island (stops are included to see ojos de sal, and to climb to the view point or walk around the island, plenty of time), continue across the Salar to first night's lodging. You will have time to stop in the Salar to take photos, although the driver may not want to wait until sunset. You are done with the Salar on Day 1.

Day 2 Visit Volcan Ollague (stop), Laguna Hedionda (stop), L Canapa, Arbol de Piedra, Laguna Colorada, overnight in hostel in HUAYLLAJARA. (These are not camps as some older itineraries imply, rather adobe buidlings with some salt features (dining area, bed bases). Shared lodging). We did not have any mishaps this day so had quite a good amount of time at Laguna Colorada (which had tons of flamingos). If you have a tire change or other misfortune, it will likely be short changed.

Day 3 get up really early to observe the "geyser" in Sol de Sol de Mañana geothermal field (need early morning low sun for best effect), return to Laguna Polques for breakfast and hot springs, Salvador Dali desert, Laguna Verde, Laguna Blanca (may include stop at the border), Valle de Rocas, San Cristobal and back to Uyuni by around 5 or 6 pm.

We did not visit the Galaxia Cave, but some tours may.

If you leave from Tupiza it takes an extra day to get from Tupiza to Laguna Colorada. Also it is done in reverse direction so times of arrivals and departues differ.

If you go to www.kanootours.com you can find various descriptions of different itineraries/

It is worthwhile to see the lakes, in my opinion, especially during Flamingo season.

If there is water on the Salar there will be different routings and you may not be able to drive across.

Edited: 01 November 2012, 23:20
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: 2d 1n salt flats tour?

I cant imagine that any tour does not go to Fish Island (Incahuasi) unless there is flooding.