We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amazonas Airlines Baggage Policies - URGENT

Belleville, Michigan
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Amazonas Airlines Baggage Policies - URGENT

We're taking an Amazonas flight from Cuzco to Uyuni Bolivia (1-way) in a week. We don't have a ton of bags (1 carry-on and 1 checked each) but they're probably going to be a little heavy. The checked bag will be withing the weight limits (under 44lb), but the carry-on with the camera gear will be heavier than the 5kg limit Amazonas lists on their website.

Has anyone had experience with them? Are their limits just guidelines or hard and fast rules? We won't be flying back to Cuzco so we can't leave bags at the hotel or anything. All our gear has to go with us to Bolivia.

If we had to, I suppose we could check our carry-ons but I'd prefer to keep the electronics with me. The carry-on bags are normal size backpacks/carryon bags.

Any info or experiences would be appreciated!!!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amazonas Airlines Baggage Policies - URGENT

I can only comment on my experience as on any day an airline can choose to strictly enforce their guidelines and you are then stuffed. The reason Amazonas have this policy is they fly a smaller plane on this route and overhead luggage storage is limited.

If you weighed my all hand luggage it would probably have been over the 5kg limit. My bigger checked bag was right on their limit. In order to reach this limit I actually posted items I had finished suing plus things I had bought on the trip already home to Australia. Postage was a reasonable cost and it arrived in Australia intact with in 1 month of posting.

For carry on I had- a small day pack that probably in itself weighed close to the 5kg. I also had a small camera bag that I carried separately. It would have been the size of a smallish handbag or purse as I think you would call it in the USA. I also had a smallish very light draw string bag that I had my tablet and Lonely Planet guides in. No one looked twice so I think the secret is not to have 1 big bulky bag.

When you say normal size carry-on that could be a problem as a normal US carry-on, that reaches the upper limit of size and weight dimensions, I would suggest could be a problem. Can you split your carry-on into what looks like a small camera bag and purse so it doesn't appear bulky and heavy like I did.

Belleville, Michigan
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amazonas Airlines Baggage Policies - URGENT

Yeah, hopefully we'll be able to shift around enough stuff to meet the requirements. Our carry-on's are backpacks so definitely under the typical US carry-on. They'd probably fit under the seat in front of us.

If worse comes to worse, we would check both bags as opposed to leaving stuff behind. Unfortunately, we wouldn't have anything we could ship home so that option probably would work. I guess I'm just unclear on if you can even check 2 bags. I'd be willing to pay a fee to do that if needed...

London
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amazonas Airlines Baggage Policies - URGENT

We travelled around south america with carryon only weighing 10 kgs, these were not allowed as carryon even though they met the size conditions, so they had to be checked. Whatever you do, do not put ANYTHING of value in your checked bags. We flew from Rurrenabaque to Sucre via La Paz and when we got to the transit area in la paz we happened to notice that our bags were just lying around in the lounge unattended in a public area with baggage handling staff nowhere to be seen!

Belleville, Michigan
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amazonas Airlines Baggage Policies - URGENT

ugh... sounds like a stressful situation. I guess we'll just have to pack some smaller bags to throw the more expensive gear in. I've seen people duct tape the crap out of their bags in hopes that it would deter would-be thieves. Maybe I'll throw a roll of that in as an added precaution.

Was there an extra fee to check the 2nd bag?

London
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amazonas Airlines Baggage Policies - URGENT

No extra fees. The planes we flew were small 30-40 sweater types as we were coming out of the very small Rurrenabaque airport. There was next to no room in the cabin (no overhead lockers) so they were extra strict with the bags. I imagine the aircraft used out of Cusco will be nap much larger so perhaps it will be less of a problem.

Belleville, Michigan
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amazonas Airlines Baggage Policies - URGENT

well... we'll find out in a few days.

thanks for the info

7. Re: Amazonas Airlines Baggage Policies - URGENT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 05:17