We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to get to vava'u

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
best way to get to vava'u

Greetings

I'm looking at cheap internet airfares to Tonga and want to send my parents...I see the flights are to nukalofa and their dream is to go whale wathcing. How do I get them to Vava'u? This might help me select the dates they fly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Would late June be ok fro whale watching?

Tegs

Marlborough
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to get to vava'u

Hi, we went in november 07, I tried booking online but in the end it was easier to go through my travel agent, I would highly recommend using an agent, far less stressful, internal airline "Airlines Tonga" from Nukalofa to Vavau is a good bet. they also fly from Nadi, Fiji direct to Vava'u through fiji which is what we'll be doing next time ( so going back it is fantastic) I would recommend the Tongan Beach Resort,the extra cost is worth it I promise, I didn't like what I saw in the town.

I'm sure the best time to whale watch is between july and september try tthe web site www.vavau.to great source of information.

We had such a great time, another good place is Mala Island. If its your parents they would love the tongan beach resort.

Hope you have luck,

dorset
Level Contributor
545 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to get to vava'u

Hello

We went to Sydney, then flew Pacific Blue to Tongatapu, then next day Tongan Airlines to Vava'u

Reef Resort is lovely and offers a good standard of accommodation (www.reefresortvavau.com).

Whale watching starts around late June - October. However, we went in October and didn't see any - it is not guaranteed!

Sydney
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to get to vava'u

Hi Tegsnz,

Check out the webpage as mentioned for Vava'u as it has info you need, you can always contact those that operate whale watching trips to ask for the best time based upon their experiences to give your parents a better chance of seeing the whales.

I have had no problems booking flights on the internet and prefer that option (that is, booking to get to Tonga). Currently there is only one airline servicing the outer islands Airline Tonga and their services are good if your flight is actually leaving on your booked day and an added bonus if its on time (never tire of checking constantly) and I was able to contact them on: airlinestongavav@gmail.com (A girl called Salome was able to assist me).

There will be another (much needed) airline to operate soon to service the outer islands in Tonga and they are schedule to commence 14th April. Their schedules are up and they are called Chathams Pacific (Air Chathams). Check out their webpage for more info:

chathamspacific.com/

Always check the reviews here in trip advisor regarding experiences of fellow travellers on accommodation in Vava’u to give you an idea. Mala is good for a day trip only. Tongan Beach Resort is nice and relaxing though a drive from town (if they want to be near town) but I like it cause its peaceful otherwise check out the holiday homes on offer in Vava’u which seems like another good option for Mum and Dad so they can relax and do whatever at their own pace.

Make sure they pack their preferred choice of medicine, mozzie repellant & sunscreen....oh and the ever essential digital camera! :-)

Good luck and hope your folks have a lovely trip!

Cheers,

Eni

4. Re: best way to get to vava'u

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 14:23
Get answers to your questions about Vava'u Islands