We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days in Santo Espiritu - where to stay? What to do?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
8 days in Santo Espiritu - where to stay? What to do?

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are heading to Santo, Vanuatu in July for the first time. We are early 50s, love travelling to out of the way destinations, are fit and active and not seeking luxury. Basic, clean, authentic will do us. Looking for a combo of snorkelling/canoeing/walking and beach bumming with a book.

I am thinking we should book 3-4 nights at Port Olry and maybe the rest somewhere nearer to Luganville to access Millenium Caves and Million dollar point more easily (maybe even Aore Isand which I know is more expensive).

I love the look of the Port Olry Treehouses and also the Little Paradise Bungalows. Have emailed the Tree houses and heard nothing after 3 days? Should I call?

Can anyone give me advice? Keen to hear other's suggestions.

With thanks,

Sue

8 replies to this topic
kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
850 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 days in Santo Espiritu - where to stay? What to do?

Hi sue

I can highly recommend mahi mahi villas , from here the tour guides can pick you up to do millennium caves; and diving:

Sue

warrandyte
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 days in Santo Espiritu - where to stay? What to do?

Hi Sue,

Where did you end up staying? Going there in September. I am trying to decide where to stay on Santo or Aore Island. Same as you, 8 days. Can you let me know your recommendations on what to see & do.

Thanks

Kat

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,915 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 days in Santo Espiritu - where to stay? What to do?

Hi Kat,

I'll just put in my two cents worth to suggest you visit at least one of the beautiful "blue holes".

J

4. Re: 8 days in Santo Espiritu - where to stay? What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2018, 10:01

Avoca Beach...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 days in Santo Espiritu - where to stay? What to do?

Hi Sue

I'm in a similar situation, we're also planning on visiting Santo Espiritu for our first wedding anniversary and currently researching where to stay. Have you looked at Turtle Bay Lodge and Turtle Bay beach house looks like it might suit your needs Sue? 40 minutes south of Port Olry... I was looking at these places and they have good reviews and seem to be in a lovely location for water holes and beaches, I think they would match what you're after...We would like to visit the blue holes, some kayaking on the river/ waterways, beach time and snorkelling... I'd be keen to hear how you get on Sue and hear your recommendations once you've been?

We're planning on going in September and spending 3 days in Port Villa (mainly so my husband can hopefully surf near Breakas, fingers crossed) then fly to Santo. My dilemma is to whether to just go straight to Santo, it looks so beautiful and peaceful... Not wanting to hijak your thread Sue but also wondering if yourself or anyone reading this has been to both these 2 main islands and has any advice on whether it's worth splitting the holiday in half like this? We have 7 days in total in Vanuatu including travel to and from Sydney.

Kingswood, Australia
Level Contributor
542 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 days in Santo Espiritu - where to stay? What to do?

Hi Therese,

After visiting Vanuatu many times over the last 30 years or so we now much prefer the natural beauty of Santo.

Our travel agent went there on our advise and he thought it was the best place in the South Pacific and recommends it now over Fiji, Port Vila, Samoa and the Cook Islands.

Turtle Bay is in a great location for all the activities.

Tell hubby he can surf at home.

Avoca Beach...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 days in Santo Espiritu - where to stay? What to do?

Hi Kath, thanks so much for this! You're right he can surf at home anytime for sure! It's so useful to get advise from other travellers when you've never visited a place before or heard much about it so thanks Kath! I'm so intrigued by Vanuatu and can't wait to visit :) Any other tips or hints for things to do in Santo, massively appreciated.

Kingswood, Australia
Level Contributor
542 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 days in Santo Espiritu - where to stay? What to do?

I have seen that you are looking at Turtle Bay Resort, we have been there for lunch a couple of times and really like it. It is a bit cheaper then a lot of the places.

One thing is eating and drinking at resorts is very much like Sydney prices.

We have recently found Santo Seaside Villas and will probably stay there next time as there are 4 of us, it is quite resonable, has good reviews and it is closer to Lugunville where we like to eat at places like the Schichen Chinese, the RK Indian and the Natangora Cafe.

My favourite things to do are Port Orly for a Lobster Lunch. Matevula Blue Hole, Million Dollar Point, Aore Island Resort for Snorkelling and definitely Fabrice’s Snorkelling tour. Have a look at his Facebook page “Best Snorkelling Espiritu Santo”.

We are also looking at hiring the buggies from Santo Car Hire next time, my daughter who cannot walk last time tried the Quads and loved it.

Reply to: 8 days in Santo Espiritu - where to stay? What to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Espiritu Santo