We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Millenium Cave tour

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
844 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Millenium Cave tour

From those who've done it, how "fit" do you have to be?

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Millenium Cave tour

Hi,

I have been told by a local tour guide that they dragged a pregnant lady through the caves.

Billy

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Millenium Cave tour

Hi i did the millenium cave walk in oct 2009. i am 45 and have an average level of fittness and could do the tour with a little effort. You do need to be a little agile as the tour does involve climbing over large rocks ,walking though the river and using some interesting ladders. i had agreat day there and i will do it again.. just a tip take your own torch for the cave.

have agood trip

Rob

Edited: 11 July 2010, 01:47
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Millenium Cave tour

And watch the water levels. The tour was virtually cancelled during our stay due to high water levels from much rainfall which made it not possible to go through the cave part of the trip and was a great disappointment to the two people we spoke to who found the trek very challenging only to miss out on the good bits at the end. They had to get back via rainforest all the way.

I still think I'd give it a go anyway, if the opportunity arose.

J

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Millenium Cave tour

We are in the mid-50, and did the entire track without any problems. Had a little bit of muscular pain in the legs the day after, but nothing to stop us doing any other activity. The most demanding part for us was to climb the hill back to the village at the end of the tour. The climb is very steep, but nothing too bad if you take your time to take a long breath every 10 steps of so. No dramas.

A torch as mentioned above is almost essential inside the cave, because the guide's torch is always pointing to his track which leave you sometimes in darkness. We took two head torches which was a wise decision to have our hands free. Also if possible take a waterproof camera for the river ride. It is too hard to describe the waterfalls you pass by and under. Too beautiful.

I would say, if you are in good health, in average state of fitness, and are not too obese (because it is necessary to pass through narrow tunnels under the boulders), I don't see any reason not to complete the track.

Millennium Cave, President Coolidge dive in Santo, and Yasur volcano in Tanna were the highlights of our last Vanuatu trip. Of course not forgetting the fantastic people of Vanuatu.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
844 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Millenium Cave tour

Thanks for the great, detailed replies.

I think I'll have to start on that fitness regime I've been putting off...yet again.

6. Re: Millenium Cave tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Espiritu Santo