We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

santo snorkeling

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
santo snorkeling

Hi to all just after a bit of info, have been to villa a few times now [ always stayed Irririki]. We are non divers but avid snorkelers, and would like to try Santo for a change. I open for all ideas and accom choices.

look forward to your replies

Donna in Brisbane

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: santo snorkeling

We snorkelled Million dollar point a few years ago and it was great. At the end of the war all the machinery was dumped into the water. There are jeeps, planes and all types of military equipment to see.

We stayed at coral quays that time. last time we stayed at Lonnoc bungalows. Its a bit of a drive out there but its pure relaxation. Nothing around for miles. We spent 3 nights and that was probably enough. We are booked to stay at oyster island next trip.

Jody

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: santo snorkeling

Thankyou Jody, will put that in the bank.

donna

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: santo snorkeling

Hi i stayed at Bokissa in oct and the snorleling was great. You can just walk out of your hut and almost straight in to the water and the coral reef is only meters from shore. i did the night snorkleing it was a lot of fun. they also took us out to snorkle where there were turtles.

Hope you have a good holiday

Rob

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: santo snorkeling

Hi Donna,

Oyster Island Resort is great. There are 2 WWII planes you can snorkel next to the bungalows. There is also a great reef on the main beach. The accommodation was fantastic, when it is high tide it is like staying in an over water bungalow. They also have great staff and good food. Oyster Island is in the perfect location. The resort is in the middle of town and Champagne and Lonnoc Beach. It is a bout a 3 Km paddle to 2 blue holes. Santo in my opinion is far more better than Port Vila. There are better beaches and better diving and snorkeling. If you have anymore questions please ask.

Billy

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
549 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: santo snorkeling

A definate YES to Santo - it was our favourite place in Vanuatu and the snorkelling was a big part of that.

I would try and split your time between two resorts to get the best of what Santo has to offer:

Aore - lovely snorkelling off the beach; very easy access to Millon Dollar Point plus absolutely amazing snorkelling trips with Santo Fishing and Dive who operate from the resort. Truly some of the best snorkelling we have ever done (reference my review for more detail).

Oyster Island (haven't stayed there) but hope to one day. It has access to great snorkelling off the resort and a plane wreck as well. Also close to the gorgeous Champayne Beach (decent snorkelling).

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: santo snorkeling

Hi Rob, Billy and Jodie, all sound great and Bokissa was one that I was looking at. Hadn't thought about two places and as we are planing on 14 nights that is definatly a big thought either way we will be sure to have a great holiday, always do we class Vanuatu as our happy place. One thing I must ask has the blight of all good things peacefull taken off there as much as it has in efate [ by blight I mean mobile phones.] was really saddened to see them there last time.

Thank so much everybody

donna

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: santo snorkeling

Hi donna,

Well the blight is in full flight as you'll see. The new signs are all mobile phone company signs.

Aside from that, the benefit of mixing it up with your accommodation is that the far north east, where Oyster Island is, is also where the lovely blue holes and famously beautiful beaches are located. Then near Luganville you have Million Dollar Point and a few shops, cafes and restaurants.

I'd mix it up. Check out the Millenium cave trek as well.

Also, do snorkel in the blue holes. Even though they are pristinely clear water they are wonderful to float over with your mask on. There are not many fish but the floor of the hole is interesting and you see sunbeams all around you going right to the rocks below...magic.

Jen

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: santo snorkeling

You can use you mobile phone in some places. We used it alot but you have to look for the right spot for reception.

Billy

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: santo snorkeling

I could not believe the amount of mobile phones that were around last time we went. Everyone had one!!!

Our mobile was even working at Lonnoc beach which is as far from anything as you can get. I got pretty nasty and sent picture messages to family and friends back here in aust which they didnt appreciate...........that is pictures of the beautiful beach and water

Jody

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: santo snorkeling

Thankyou Jen and Jody, pity about the phones but I suppose this is what happens in paradise although sending pictures home is just cruel, definatly going to do the two areas I think oyster and bokissa resorts will be us .

thankyou all for your help

Donna

Get answers to your questions about Espiritu Santo