We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Vanuatu - allbuggerup

New Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
238 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Air Vanuatu - allbuggerup

My wife and I booked and paid in Oct for BNE/SON(Pekoa) departing on March 15. Over the weekend just checked their flights and prices - NO flight to SON, just thought it must be full, rechecked none available on Tue for about 3 weeks. Rang Air Van this AM to find they have pulled the plane for maintenance. I have no problem with this, however, to pull it for sevice for over 3 weeks means a scheduled heavy maintenance program. If so would have been planned quite a while ago and they were still taking bookings last week!!. So if any one has a BNE/ Santo booking in early March have another look. I can still "check my trip" and it shows firmly booked on a flight that does not exist?? Air Van has promised now, only after I rang,, to contact me when they know what they are going to do. Will keep you informed - Balus allbuggerup? (PNG pidgin).

Edited: 17 January 2011, 04:48
Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Vanuatu - allbuggerup

What? How many 737's do they have? One ?

I know that I got cheap fares and great seats up front behind business with one free seat, plenty of room when booking just after Christmas to go on 2 Jan and on the way there and back the plane was not full (hence the cheap fares to get bums on seats I guess.)

When we left on 10/1 Pacific Blue flight boarded when we were waiting for our AV departure an hour later and PB would have been full so many people.

How odd to pull a plane for 3 weeks, perhaps not enough bookings? You'd know why John......

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Vanuatu - allbuggerup

It would have nothing to do with how heavily booked or not the flight is as AV often fly with load factors around 50-60% - that's one of the reasons they are losing money. Yes they only have one 737-800, which I believe is a leased plane. Maintenance may be the official reason, and perhaps that is true, but it could also be a number of other financial reasons, one of which may be late payments on their lease. There is no way AV could operate without a plane for 3 weeks, not even 3 days really, without it having a major impact on tourism and consumer confidence. If they are indeed doing maintenance, I would expect they will lease another plane for that time, probably one from Qantas who I believe still part own Air Vanuatu.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Vanuatu - allbuggerup

Thankyou Hindo for the explanation, I can't imagine AV not having their 737-800 for 3 weeks in March either.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Vanuatu - allbuggerup

On one trip when my daughter and her bf were due to return home the plane was delayed due to being held over in Sydney. Late that night an old Qantas plane arrived to take over from the scheduled Air Van flight.

Jen

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Vanuatu - allbuggerup

Yay I actually know something!!! I am in the very exciting process of looking at a week or so in Vanuatu in mid March. Last minute I know, but it is suddenly a possibility and I am going to give it my best shot.

I actually contacted an agent of Air Vanuatu to ask about some Santo package specials they had on their site, and was emailed today and told "Unfortunately the direct flight from Brisbane to Santo that gave the 5 night duration at the cheaper rates has been pulled until April while some aircraft are being serviced." Allbuggerup alright! Oh well, will keep looking and getting ideas. Oh, and reading this forum RELIGIOUSLY!! :)

Cheers Barbara (getting older by the minute but really happy March is looking good!)

New Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
238 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Vanuatu - allbuggerup

I'm pretty sure it is for maintenance. They usually hand over the airplane to Qantas on Monday night after arrival for any scheduled routine maintenance and the aircraft is on line again for departure on Tuesday at 1100AM. The aircraft can be pulled for heavy maintenance for up to 3 -4 weeks which is always programmed well ahead and a replacement aircraft is usually organised to replace it. Perhaps the Brisbane floods have caused some disruptions to their program, Qantas has a big maintenance program in Brisbane and if the floods have disrupted their program - could have caused some disruptions to Air Van and perhaps no replacement aircraft available. I will wait for Air Van to contact me with their replacement itenerary before I get too upset. Pacific Blue now looking good as long as Air Van allows me the 23Kg on the VLI/SON legs. We have a lot of goodies for the school on Aore. Will keep you informed.

New Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
238 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Vanuatu - allbuggerup

Much ado about nothing. Still can't find the flight on their booking page but have just received an email from Air Van, Brisbane/Pekoa flights are operating as normal,well at least mine is, PHEW!

Big balus,him no buggerup no more.

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Vanuatu - allbuggerup

I rang air van today on another matter and she said "while I have you on the phone i will let you know about the schedule changes because the plane is being taken out of service for 4 weeks for maintenance". we go feb 28th. we now leave at 1.50pm and when i said that this would mean that we miss our santo connection she said that that hasnt been worked on yet and they would let us know.

Jody

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Vanuatu - allbuggerup

What the? Jody have you run over a black cat or something?

Qld
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
323 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Vanuatu - allbuggerup

We're booked for the 18th of March I'll be checking tomorrow to see if there are any changes!

Get answers to your questions about Espiritu Santo