We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Home from Santo

New Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
238 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Home from Santo

Back myself from 11 days in Santo last Sunday the 27th March.

Firstly my apology to OldNHappy for not turning up to the Sunday BBQ as promised, spent that Sunday afternoon at the Luganville Hospital having a dressing changed on a badly damaged leg, more on that later.

Spent one night Hotel Santo, 10 nights at Aore Resort before transferring to Vila (thanks to Air Vanuatu's schedule changes)for one night prior to our return. Stayed as usual for a one night stay there at the Hotel Olympic.

Did all our bookings through Hotels-Vanuatu and all worked like clockwork. All arranged transport was waiting without fail.

Hotel Santo great for our first night, clean with friendly and helpful staff. Arrived at Pekoa at 1420, straight thru CIQ and in our room at the Hotel Santo a little after 3pm. Had checked Goodies exchange rate on the the day before departure and they were quoting 92.2 Vuv to the AUD, walked into the Unity Store in Luganville the very next day and was given 95. Very happy with that.

Used a taxi from the Hotel to the Aore landing and were transferred by George the ferryman without any problems to Aore Resort. Cannot say any more than has been previously said, just terrific all round, meals great, never seen so much lobster, arriving fresh almost daily and reasonably priced. Anne and her staff cannot be faulted, my wife and I loved the place. On our second night I had a run-in with the our bed and knocked a chunk out of my left shin, a lot of blood everywhere and at 9.30 pm not much we could do until the following day. Anne and her cleaning staff did not turn a hair at a badly blood stained sheets and mattress cover, but packed me off the next morning up to the local hospital.

Staff there were great, facilities as expected very primitive, but they got my leg properly dressed and onto a course of antibiotics. So far no problems but my local GP has upped the antibiotic strength. The BIG problem, told to keep my dressing dry and leg rested. So activities limited. Managed to waterproof my leg with glad wrap and get into the water. A snorkellers wonderland and swimable at all tides.

Will do reviews on accommodation separately and only too willing to answer any questions.

John

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Home from Santo

Glad you had a good time, besides the leg and its good to hear that luganville hospital did well. I will never forget my unfortunate visit there

Jody

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Home from Santo

We did miss you oldjon, but I guess a trip to hospital suffices for an excuse! I hope your leg heals well and quickly. I ended up with a tropical ulcer from just a bit of rubbing from my thong, so hopefully your much bigger wound won't get worse. How frustrating not to be allowed to be in water.

Aore looks lovely, look forward to your review. Make sure you post some pics too. Glad you had a good time even with your problems. We will catch up next time :)

Cheers, Barbara

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Home from Santo

Glad to hear you are both home safe, after your holiday.

Pleased that you were able to get into the water, even for a short time.

Well, doing that to your leg helped you to have a well deserved and a very quiet relaxing time.

Take care and get well John. Thankyou so much for the report. And sounds like good weather!

LTB

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Home from Santo

Welcome back, sorry about the leg & hope it continues to heal well.

Look forward to reading more about your trip.

5. Re: Home from Santo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 21:18