We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santo and Diving

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
244 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Santo and Diving

Hi,

I am planning on visiting Santo for 2 weeks in October with my husband and two kids aged 7 and 9. We will probably stay at 2-3 different places. My husband wants to go diving a few times and I would like to do some semi-adventurous activities with the kids (walking, swimming, trekking). We are also not really 'resort' type of people and we are on a fairly tight budget. I can speak a reasonable amount of Bislama so we are happy to get off the track and stay somewhere very 'local'. What suggestions would you make regarding places to stay that will accommodate some diving as well as accessibility to adventures that will be suitable for the kids as well as somewhere that will keep them entertained if we want to just chill out. Thanks, Allison

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santo and Diving

Hi Allison,

Well the Deco stop resort is very diving focussed.

I'm surprised that you ask, given that you live in Port Vila, according to your profile snapshot.

Good value destinations include the tiny Oyster Island Resort and the more basic Lonnoc Beach bungalows, as well as Port Olry bungalows. But they are not diving specific accommodations.

Coral Quays has a bit of a diving reputation, but anyway if you stay near town you can hop on board with the dive operators in Luganville and just take well planned day trips with them.

Happy travels,

Jen

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santo and Diving

There are a few dive operators in the main street of Luganville. Allan Power Dive Tours seems to get the most airplay as the people to dive the Coolidge and Million Dollar Point, and is located nearly opposite the Santo Hotel where we stayed. http://www.allan-power-santo.com/ I've no idea if the Santo Hotel has cheaper motel type rooms out near the pool but the rooms in the main hotel weren't "cheap" at all.

Jen mentioned above the others close to town and some further away. I know Bokissa Is do offer dives on the M.V. Henry Bonneaud, which some who had done both it, and the Coolidge, said was a far better dive. I assume the Luganville ones do that vessel dives as well.

Cheerz Wabster.

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santo and Diving

Thanks Jen and Wabster. Jen, I do live in PV but have only been here 3 months and not visited Santo yet. I thought I would ask the question to see if anyone had any specific information regarding Santo. I suppose I am also looking to see if anyone has any feedback based on personal experience about some of the places I have read about like Oyster Island.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santo and Diving

There is a tourist info hut in Luganville with lots of brochures for the various dive operators and other tours.

Santo is never booked out in my experience so you could pop over with a night or two booked at, say, Hotel Santo and then take it from there.

Hope this helps,

Jen

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
46 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santo and Diving

Your husband has to dive the SS President Coolidge, best wreck dive and there is the biggest groper down there I have ever seen. They call it Borris.

We stayed at Aore Island Resort. I can't remember how much it was but I remember it being pretty good value. It is on a working coconut plantation and is about 10mins from Santo and Luganville. The boats come pretty often and are organised by the resort. Lots of diving, snorkeling, kayaking and walks in the area.

Bundaberg, Australia
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Santo and Diving

Diving is best done when staying closer to Luganville because of transfer costs so to please everyone you could stagger your diving with stays further away. You would enjoy the Mount Hope Waterfall tour and your kids should be fine with that but not sure about the Millenium Cave as it can be a testing trek. There is horse riding available and young children catered for on well behaved neddies. Up the coast, basic accom is availble at Lonnoc Beach, Towoc or Port Olry, and budget is Turtle Bay with Oyster mid range. Closer to town you have Hibiscus Attraction Centre for budget, with most others being mid range to higher. If staying closer to town be aware that some places have not much room for young children to be kids and run around. Hope that helps.

7. Re: Santo and Diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 07:19