We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your absolute must do or see in Santo

Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Your absolute must do or see in Santo

My fellow adventurers, my husband and I are spending 9 days on Santo (Moyyan House by the Sea) in late July. I have read posts and Santo threads but wanted to try to gather a list of absolute must do/see/experience. We are doing our PADI open water certification so diving is taken care of. Please share your absolutes with me?

Bundaberg, Australia
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Your absolute must do or see in Santo

Millenium Caves, blue holes, Mt Hope, Horse riding, fishing, trekking with Mayumi from Wrecks to Rainforest if she has a trek on (places you won't get to) snorkeling, fishing and diving. Then there's the beaches or windsurfing, hobie cats and village visits as well as water music and kava bars. In your spare time, you can relax :)

Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your absolute must do or see in Santo

Thanks very much Bluey2008. That's a great list, I hadn't heard of the wrecks to rainforest.

Edited: 04 April 2014, 09:41
Maroochydore Qld...
Level Contributor
263 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your absolute must do or see in Santo

Our family loved the Millenium cave trip, you will need to be reasonably fit and have a sense of adventure, it is a great day out.

The blue holes are a must see, we loved Champagne bay ( pick a day without a cruise ship).

Port Olry, there's nothing like sharing the beach with cows and no one else.

I was pleasantly surprised with million dollar point, ( go there at low tide) the stuff you see is fantastic. Around the shoreline there are WW2 relics cast in the sand( now rock) you'll find brass, stainless steel springs, plates and all sorts of odds and ends. I wasn't too sure what to expect however it was a great couple of hours.

We only spent 6 days in Santo and wished for more, you will love it.

Safe Travels Steely.

Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your absolute must do or see in Santo

Thanks so much Steely. I was a bit ho hum about MDP. Didn't think we'd enjoy seeing waste in the beautiful sea but it is sounding kind of cool. Millennium Caves is at the top of our list and we'd like to do the riri river canoe with trip to that blue hole with villagers. I believe the trip is spectacular in its own right! Your tip about beaches on non-cruise ship days is a recurring theme in forums so we'll most definitely schedule it right. We can't wait to visit stunning Santo, is could be called Adventure Island judging by the diversity if activities.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your absolute must do or see in Santo

I will add the Mt Hope Waterfall tour to the list. It's a lot less strenuous and shorter than the Millenium Cave trip, but so beautiful. You jump into and float down a fern-lined river and then trek back through lush forest. Nice if you feel like something a bit more relaxing for half a day.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1 post
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your absolute must do or see in Santo

Just back. Million dollar point is amazing, I'd say don't go at low tide as the snorkelling won't be good! Amazing how something so 'ugly' is so beautiful! The blue holes are a must! They are incredible, and Hope Mountain waterfall trip, which is run through Oyster island, which by the way is a fantastic little peaceful resort with only 11 bungalows over water at high tide. Gorgeous.

7. Re: Your absolute must do or see in Santo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 06:17