We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety concern for solo female traveler to Tanna Island

San Diego...
Level Contributor
19 posts
82 reviews
Safety concern for solo female traveler to Tanna Island

Hello folks,

I am planning on traveling solo to Tanna Island in July(peak tourism season) and will be staying at a bungalow at the foot of Mt.Yasur and will get transportation to the volcano. I plan to climb up the volcano one evening solo. I was wondering

1) is it possible to climb Mt Yasur without a guide? I am quite fit and have done some strenuous climbs in the past. I am also aware of the dangers of climbing an active volcano.

2)how the crime rate is around the volcano and the island in general. I can't find much information online and was hoping to ask other travelers.

Thank you,

Samhita

7 replies to this topic
southern california
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Safety concern for solo female traveler to Tanna Island

I'm not a woman, but I went there alone a couple years ago. When I went to the volcano my driver waited for me at the base and there was already a group at the rim of the volcano...I walked up alone, it's relatively easy.

I recommend wearing glasses at Mt. Yasur, I got a chunk of sand or something in my eye and I couldn't get it out for an hour or two. No running water around, bring extra water. You'll need a flashlight to get around at night and for when you climb down the volcano after the sun sets.

The people there are generally very nice and helpful, though sometimes quiet or distant. I never felt in danger, but you definitely feel very isolated and foreign. There were no other travelers staying at my bungalow and it's not easy to 'fully' communicate with the locals. Crime on Tanna is usually related to local land disputes. Rape and/or armed robbery of tourists isn't common...but where ever there are humans, it's always a possibility.

Tanna was one of the best trips I've taken, enjoy.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
19 posts
82 reviews
2. Re: Safety concern for solo female traveler to Tanna Island

Thank you Shakas! That was very helpful! I look forward to my trip to Vanuatu. Did you stay close to the volcano in the bungalows? Which bungalow /B&B did you stay at?

southern california
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Safety concern for solo female traveler to Tanna Island

I originally was going to stay at Port Resolution ("yacht club"), it's pretty close to the volcano, but you'll still need a ride there. The Port Resolution area probably has the best looking beaches on Tanna. I had to cancel my original arrival date, so they let other people take my spot, but they found me a spot up the hill at Tanna Island Dream Bungalows. It's a about a 15 minute walk between the two places. The lower Port Resolution area was more active at night though, locals hanging out around fires, guys drinking kava...etc...

All rides to-and-from places on Tanna will typically need to be arranged by whoever you are staying with. I think it was about 30$-50$ (USD) per ride. The cross-island drive takes a while.

Here's a video of my trip if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNhdnEtaPak

Edited: 06 April 2017, 18:11
San Diego...
Level Contributor
19 posts
82 reviews
4. Re: Safety concern for solo female traveler to Tanna Island

Your video is amazing! I really look forward to my trip. Thank you so much for all the info. Happy travels!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
160 reviews
5. Re: Safety concern for solo female traveler to Tanna Island

Yes, you can visit the volcano without a guide but you will still have to pay the entrance fee which is now 7500 vatu and then, as Shakas says your transport to the carpark at the 'base' is extra. dailypost.vu/news/entani-charges-vt-volcano-… Not sure if Shakas is talking about the climb from the carpark? Its only 100m but straight up on compacted ash. There are groups up there every night (unless its raining). Even if its sweltering where you are staying it gets chilly up on the volcano after dark and you are best to wear closed in shoes. I saw a girl with shorts, singlet and thongs on one night up there and needless to say....she didn't last long before going back to sit n the car.

The upmarket resorts send their guests up with long (ember proof?) jackets and torches. There are some areas of the rim that you are not allowed to stand on for safety reasons so an independent climb direct from your resort bypassing everything else may not be wise.

Safety wise, you'll be fine with your hosts from the bungalows and they will be able to advise you how best to do the things you want.

Have fun!

Bellingen, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Safety concern for solo female traveler to Tanna Island

I am a middle aged woman and I took 2 teenage girls with me to Tanna. We felt very safe at all times. All locals and foreign workers assured us that personal safety is very good. Theft may be a minor problem, so lock up valuables or keep them on you. We walked everywhere day and night, sometimes solo or in pairs and we had no problems at all. Tanna was amazing, so much fantastic stuff to do [expensive - take plenty cash].

Not sure about Volcano. We stayed at Alofa bungalows on other side of island and they arranged transport and tour for us. Don't see why you couldn't walk solo, and drivers will always wait for you. However, I would recommend the tour, as you get packed into the back of trucks and have to go up crazy roads in 4WDs - the drivers are very experienced and there are safety measures you need to be aware of. It's actually a great tour with a welcome dance and some important protocol and cultural information, so it is very educational and respectful to join them.

ps On the other side of the island, Blue Cave, Giant Banyan Tree and Lowinio Village were well worth a visit. I've travelled all over the world for years and this island has so much in one small place that is unique and wonderful and still very rustic and unspoilt. Enjoy!

Dromana, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
7. Re: Safety concern for solo female traveler to Tanna Island

How was your trip Samhita?

I want to do a similar solo adventure and wondering if you have recommendations on transport from airport to Yasur plus close-to-yasur accommodation?

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Edited: 08 July 2017, 01:27
Reply to: Safety concern for solo female traveler to Tanna Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted