We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Tanna Island

6 posts
Flying to Tanna Island

Hi - from the discussions I've read people generally seem to rate Unity and Air Taxi. If we flew Air Vanuatu would we get a decent enough view?

The Air Vanuatu flights give us more time on the island and mean we can choose accommodation that is more off the beaten track. It's a toss up between flying over Mt Yasur and having the village experience.

Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
96 reviews
1. Re: Flying to Tanna Island

View of what?

6 posts
2. Re: Flying to Tanna Island

Mt Yasur - The charter/ tour websites say they do scenic flights which go over the volcano and crater. Just wondering if they are significantly better.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
96 reviews
3. Re: Flying to Tanna Island

The Air Vanuatu flights I've done to Tanna are just normal commuter flights that just land at the airport. The volcano is on the other side of the island, and I've not seen it from the air.

In my opinion, the only way to see and experience the volcano, is to drive in the afternoon, and see it in action just as night settles.

You can easily spend a couple of days on Tanna. We always stay at Whitegrass.

6 posts
4. Re: Flying to Tanna Island

Thank you. That's really helpful :-)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
173 posts
128 reviews
5. Re: Flying to Tanna Island

Hi

To stand on the side of active volcano is a once in a lifetime experience that you never forget. When we ere there we saw the plane going overhead a couple of times.you might see some of the volcano,but you would miss out one of the most spectacular things you will ever see close up, the sounds the smell there is nothing like it best money we ever spend going there

7 posts
6. Re: Flying to Tanna Island

Hi i have a local friend on Tanna, so i should be ok for accommodation, but im just wondering about having a 4year old with me to see Yasur. Are there any age restrictions that people know of? Hes an active kid and had no problems walking the 2 1/2 hour trek around Dove Lake at Cradle Mtn, here in Tasmania.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
173 posts
128 reviews
7. Re: Flying to Tanna Island

Hi

Just beware that on the volcano there are no fences or any sort of barriers around the top of the crater so very easy to fall down the side of it in to the actual volcano. Also you are standing right on the edge of it.

But it is the best thing ever

Cheers

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
160 reviews
8. Re: Flying to Tanna Island

Brooke, The rim area on the volcano is not a narrow ledge or anything and the actual eruption areas (2) are a long way down. Just stay in the areas allowed for viewing and you will be right. Hold his hand and don't forget to look up !

Amber S, A package deal with Air Taxi or Unity is usually cheaper than independent visit. But as long as you have your accomodation and tour to volcano organised it shouldn't be a problem.

Edited: 13 July 2017, 08:11
6 posts
9. Re: Flying to Tanna Island

Thank you :-)

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
10. Re: Flying to Tanna Island

You will experience the same view from Port Vila to Tanna island, Air Vanuatu uses smaller airplane also. What you will miss is the volcano fly over, Unity and Air Taxi usually include this in their package. Personally, I went for Air Vanuatu, much cheaper and more flexible with the accommodation, more time to experience the island. My experience with air Vanuatu to Tanna island www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWtS2wFIjag

Reply to: Flying to Tanna Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted