We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation near Yasur

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
152 reviews
Accommodation near Yasur

Hi all

I am looking forward to a September trip to Tanna and my question is what accommodation is nearest to Yasur and I assume that most would be basic bungalow type accommodation how do you go about booking them?

regards

Marty

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
1. Re: Accommodation near Yasur

Hi there

I reckon your best bet is to look up Tanna Hotels to the left of this forum and read the reviews and accomodation information to decide, depending on what you are looking for. They have basic accomodation and I think that Whitegrass is the only place with 24 hour electricity - this place is not so basic and more expensive. We stayed there and it was BRILLIANT! As you can see from my picture, we went to Yasur, it was unreal, you are going to love it. It took an hour and a half to get to Yasur from Whitegrass, very slow and bumpy but amazing.

Hope this helps a bit

Anna

New Zealand
Level Contributor
7,035 posts
386 reviews
2. Re: Accommodation near Yasur

The website http://www.vanuatu-hotels.vu/ has some accommodation in Tanna that seems reasonably close to Yasur. They are reliable - I used them to book at Tanna Evergreen Resort, which is probably further away than you want. At one point Flight Centre offered Friendly Bungalows, which is over that side of the island. I'm not sure if they still do. Otherwise, I suspect it's a case of booking direct with the accommodation.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
152 reviews
3. Re: Accommodation near Yasur

Thanks. I think I'll try banyan castle as it's very close to Yasur to start with. Cheers.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
680 posts
59 reviews
4. Re: Accommodation near Yasur

Hi Marty

Also check this site.......

positiveearth.org/bungalows/tafea/tanna.htm

It's interactive, so click on what ever area you like the look of and it will give more info, contact details and reviews. Check for more current reviews because these places sometimes fall by the wayside. I would definitely ring ahead to book, it might take a few calls though.....and also re-confirm just before you are due to go to Tanna. These bungalows are well worth the bit of extra effort for the experience of staying "in the wild" and meeting fantastic people an seeing so many wonderful sights. You are right that they have very basic facilities, but it can often be made up for in hospitality and great local food.

I have stayed at Port Resolution Yacht Club and Sunrise Bungalows, but there are places that are even closer to the volcano, so you can walk there if you like.

Good luck and have fun

Kerry

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
5. Re: Accommodation near Yasur

Hey Marty, I'm going to be carrying out a study on Mount Yasur and also looking for accommodation as close as possible (preferably in walking distance) to Yasur. I was wondering on what you've found? I've also noted down the Banyan castle treehouse. I'm meant to be spending a good two weeks there in Tanna however, and a little nervous about basic creature comforts like a hot shower, and coming home like an Ethiopian, (no offence) but i've read reviews of people just being fed bread and rice. hmm.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
152 reviews
6. Re: Accommodation near Yasur

Hi julian

We have decided to stay at the Jungle Oasis for the benefit of the tree house. accommodation is Vt4,500/night for a bungalow (sleeps 2) and v t6,000/night for the tree house - which also sleeps, maybe 3 (1 double bed and one single), which includes breakfast; lunch and dinner are Vt750 and Vt1,000/person, respectively; transfers across the island are Vt2,500/person each way (someone will meet you at the airport) the drive across the island is very scenic we are told and takes about 2 hours.  The volcano tour cost is vt2,500/person.

Not sure about the basic creature comforts........!

Regards marty

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
69 reviews
7. Re: Accommodation near Yasur

Some of those places seem amazing. Love to hear what the accommodation is actually like.

8. Re: Accommodation near Yasur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 16:17