We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Study of tourism on Tanna - participants wanted

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Study of tourism on Tanna - participants wanted

Hello forumites!

My name is William Skinner and I am a PhD candidate in Anthropology with the University of Adelaide. I am conducting research into tourism on the island of Tanna – in particular, the way people (tourists and locals) experience the specific places and spaces associated with tourism and travel. I will be spending about 7 months living on Tanna, probably from November 2011 onwards (with a few weeks in Vila beforehand).

While I’m on Tanna I will be trying to meet and talk to as many travellers as I can, but for my research it’s equally important to get people’s experiences before and after their trips as well. One of the main reasons I’m posting here is that I believe that planning trips and sharing information and stories through online communities like TA is a very important part of the way we travel nowadays.

So, if you’ve been to Tanna (or another ‘outer island’) or are planning to visit, I would love to hear from you! If you’re interested in participating in my study, or finding out more about it, please let me know – send me a private message and we can correspond via email. Of course, your participation is entirely up to you, and will be kept confidential and anonymous.

The sort of data collection I will undertake will include:

• Participation and observation in Trip Advisor discussions (...I do that anyway!);

• Semi-structured ‘interviewing’ via email – or by phone or face-to-face, whatever is appropriate; and

• Online questionnaires.

And, of course, if you’re planning to be on Tanna while I’m there, I’ll be hanging around somewhere with my notepad and pen ;-)

Cheers,

William

** I’m not selling anything so I’m pretty sure I’m not breaking forum guidelines with this post – but please let me know if I am!!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Study of tourism on Tanna - participants wanted

Wow 7 months, nice!

I'll take part in your study if you take part in mine haha.

I'm also a student, third year at the university of Exeter - England studying physical geography. I'm leaving on monday for Port Vila and will be spending a good two weeks on Tanna investigating the relationship between volcanic risk and tourism for my dissertation.. Hoping there will be many tourists visiting the volcano in my two weeks there otherwise my dissertation is screwed!

Have you planned much on where you are going to stay and so on regards to basic living in Tanna?

I've been looking through trip advisor and other sites about accommodation in Tanna and getting a little nervous to say the least haha. Accommodation seems rather expensive and even with the most expensive you're getting very basic facilities. I know I should expect this, but I don't fancy paying a ridiculous amount for accommodation and then so on for food and a cold shower when i'll be spending 2 weeks there... And for you if you're going to be spending 7 MONTHS there, i'm sure you're going to be wanting to find a deal right, with basic creature comforts.

I'm just hoping my contact out there knows some good deals! If you know of any please let me know, as i will you to. Julian.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Study of tourism on Tanna - participants wanted

Well I offer to carry both your suitcases, especially yours William; I'm in Adelaide too.

I would have responded to your request earlier William but I have only been to Santo and Efate, wasn't sure if Santo qualifies as an outer island?? If so, by all means send me a private message and I would be glad to help. I am very interested in Tanna myself, and MIGHT (crossing fingers big time!) even be visiting Tanna while you are there.

Good luck both of you. Vanuatu is an amazing place and I hope you fall in love with it as much as I did (oh, and of course do a lot of good study there!).

Cheers, Barbara

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Study of tourism on Tanna - participants wanted

Julian - I would love to take part in your study - although I won't actually be there until end October so not sure if that's any use to you. But I HAVE been to Tanna & the volcano before as a tourist, so let me know if I can be of any help there.

With regards to living expenses, yeah the budget definitely needs to be higher than it would be if travelling to, say, SE Asia. Hotel accommodation, restaurant food, etc, is more in line with what you would pay in Australia or UK. However, from what I've found, you can get (basic) food and accommodation for much much lower prices if you go through locally-operated guesthouses / bungalows rather than the bigger places that pop up on all the hotel booking sites - probably a lot don't have an internet presence at all, but the Vanuatu Aelan Walkabaot website lists quite a few on Tanna: positiveearth.org/bungalows/TAFEA/tanna.htm .

Anyway, good luck with the research!!

Barbara - Yes, I would love to talk to you about your travels so far in Vanuatu AND your interest in going to Tanna - that's all relevant to what I'm looking at. Whereabouts in Adelaide are you? It would be great to catch up for a coffee & a chat sometime if you're happy to do that ..

Cheers!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Study of tourism on Tanna - participants wanted

By the way, it's looking like I will be based in the Port Resolution area - reasonably close to a lot of the places tourists visit, especially the volcano, but a long and bumpy ride to town at Lenakel.

tauranga
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Study of tourism on Tanna - participants wanted

Hi William,

My wife and I stayed on Tanna for ten days last year and had the time of our lives. the stay touched both of us and has provided lasting memories and in sites.

Regards Mal

Cairns
Level Contributor
100 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Study of tourism on Tanna - participants wanted

Congrats Tanna for 7 months!!! Sounds like bliss. Would love to take part in your study.

We have been to Tanna twice, over a week each time, and would love to go back there again and again. It was the highlight of our trips to Vanuatu as we were island hopping. We made wonderful friends and they remembered us (even though it has been a year apart).

Would love to take part in your study

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Study of tourism on Tanna - participants wanted

Fantastic, thanks for the responses!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Study of tourism on Tanna - participants wanted

Now my flights and everything are sorted, as well as all the rigmarole with the university, so I'll be touching down in Vila on 30 October, spending a couple of weeks there, then off to Tanna until approx end May next year - if you're travelling to Tanna during that time and are happy to be part of my research, please let me know!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Study of tourism on Tanna - participants wanted

I'm about to book flights to Vila, Tanna and Santo myself for March, Will. Planning to be on Tanna in your area for at least 3 nights, so will catch up with you then for a kava or two! Best wishes, safe travel and be sure to find some way of letting us all know what you are up to while on Tanna.

*mumble jealous mumble*

Cheers, Barbara

New Zealand
Level Contributor
212 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Study of tourism on Tanna - participants wanted

Hi, very interested in communicating with you. We (family of 4) stayed 2 nights in Tanna in July 2010 and would be interested in giving you feedback. Please reply and I'll be able to email you directly.