We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights Tanna advise

Zoersel, Belgium
14 posts
Save Topic
3 nights Tanna advise

Hi everybody,

I am planning a 4 week trip to Vanuatu and we want to stay 3 nights on Tanna.

My idea is staying close to the volcano to.make sure there is at least 1 day and night we can visit considering weather and activity conditions.

We will leave from Port Vila. Can we do the trip independent or is it advisable to do the whole trip organised? If you suggest organised than who is a reliable travel agent?

Thanks a lot,

Rudi

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 nights Tanna advise

Hi

You can organise it yourself. Just book your airfares with Air Vanuatu, Air Taxi or Air Safari etc and book your accommodation through http://tafeatourismcouncil.com. Sometimes its cheaper to do a package deal though. Remote accommodation can usually arrange your transport to the volcano side of the island (over an hour away from the airport). The good thing about staying on the airport side is that if the weather is bad you will be able to get back to the airport to catch your plane home….eg if the weather is that bad that you can't get to the volcano from the airport side you won't get back to the airport from the volcano side either. It might be a risk worth taking depending on the time of year you are going, wet or dry season?

It also depends what sort of accommodation you are after. Basic island bungalows or more up market. A nice mid range option is Tanna Evergreen who also do volcano trips at a very reasonable price.

Have fun planning!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights Tanna advise

Hi Rudy. Ive stayed a few times with Philip,Alfred & Susan at Tanna Melanesian Bungalows. Its very basic & at the foot of the volcano. You go to sleep with rumbling & the odd shake. If the volcano is very active & considered too dangerous to go up then you can also just sit outside your hut & watch it. VERY important to take cash with you to Tanna. Its about 3000vt for entry to the volcano & also you need to cover transfer from the airport to the bungalow. From rusty memory that is maybe 2500vt ea. As I mentioned its very basic however very friendly & small, maybe 4 huts. Shower & 1 flush toilet.

I just wait until I get to PV & then book air van to Tanna.

Edited: 10 July 2014, 20:30
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 nights Tanna advise

I neglected to mention if your up for it, you can walk from there up to the volcano under the guidance of Alfred & he is quite entertaining with showing you his bush skills. Its a steep walk if you choose that instead of the ute though.

4. Re: 3 nights Tanna advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 02:16