We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun & Sands Beach Resort, Stay well away

hertfordshire
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Sun & Sands Beach Resort, Stay well away

We have been to this hotel twice before some years back and had a wonderfull time, we decided to go back and arrived on the 9th June 2009 for three weeks,

The rooms are now disgusting and very run down, there was no hot water to shower after our long journey,we were told several lies as to why there was no hot water and eventually found out that they shut the boiler down during the day to save money,it doesnt matter that you may want to shower or wash during the day,

The premises are shown as 4 star + in the brochure and the hotel its self claims to be 5 star, i would not rate this premises as 2 star,

How people can say they have had a wonderfull time here is beyond me,

the only comment i can make there is they cant be used to fussy, our holiday rep Cosmos was excellent we were moved out the same day and put in the Voyager Resort it is only 4 star i would rate it at 7 star what a diffrence, could not fault anything.

People be warned avoid the Sun & Sands, it needs closing down and a complete refurb.

uk
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
61. Re: Sun & Sands Beach Resort, Stay well away

i really dont see what all the fuss is about , as long as the bed is clean , the shower works , what more do you want, get out and about , dont stay in the hotel by the pool !!!! you can do that in europe, get out and about meet the people and you will have the best holiday you have ever had that i can promise you anbd dont go AI go half board or bed and breakfast, eat and drink out , its cheap and morwe fun

england
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
62. Re: Sun & Sands Beach Resort, Stay well away

Thank God...its taken long enough for someone to talk sense!!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Sun & Sands Beach Resort, Stay well away

Came back from Mombasa on Friday on Thompson flight to Manchester, people were all talking about their holidays and on the whole the response for Sun & Sands was very favourable.

Most said the rooms were clean & the food was ok, the people that really enjoyed it went out of the hotel complex and met the locals visiting schools and homes in the area and not just the ones promoted by the hotel.

So please go with an open mind and as one couple said to me "its nothing like the Dom. Republic", maybe thats why so many of us love Kenya !!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
Save Reply
64. Re: Sun & Sands Beach Resort, Stay well away

Hi, well-said pjduk, if all you want is FB, stay inside your cosy fence, sit by the pool and drink, go to Spain.

The whole purpose of going to somewhere like Kenya (or Tanz, or Zam or Malawi, or SA for that matter), is to see another world. You have to be very isolated indeed to not realise that you may well not get the sort of standards that you get in Europe, (unless you are paying a lot of money), but the service is often better, nearly always far more friendly.

Get out, see the REAL Kenya, meet the people, ask a member of staff if you can visit their home, (politely, then thank them for the honour), spend money in the local shops to help the locals, visit a school or orphanage, (not a show place organised by the hotel) If you have kids, encourage them to go and meet the local kids, play football, learn the local games. It can be the experience of a lifetime, not just another holiday, life changing for some, (like Drakesdrum, and me), OK, it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but until you try it you will never know.

Ivan

uk
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
65. Re: Sun & Sands Beach Resort, Stay well away

rock on mr ivan

kidderminster
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Sun & Sands Beach Resort, Stay well away

what a shame you have this opinion, i have just returned home from sun n sand and thought it was vry clean and tidy. the staff were really polite and helpful.

i think you must try to remember that you are in a 3rd world country and i would be ashamed to complain about such minor things when the people are living in mud huts on the outside of the hotel and the children are running with no shoes on their feet! and yet their attitude to life is one we might take a lesson from ourselves and try not to be so greedy and demanding.

we have had the best holiday of our lives and we are very well travelled people, we would most certainly return to this same hotel. .... maybe the hotel made some changes for the better when we went !!

Iver Heath, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Sun & Sands Beach Resort, Stay well away

Dont worry, dont think lolover will be back, 14 posts complaining about nothing, just after a bit of compo me thinks !!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
332 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Sun & Sands Beach Resort, Stay well away

Oh my god, after reading what seems like no more than a slanging match... please tell me that our Christmas & New Year are not going to be hell

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,019 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Sun & Sands Beach Resort, Stay well away

Hi,

There have been quite a few positive posts about Sun & Sand since this kerfuffle, (these spats break out from time to time) see this one for example

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g317063-i9671-k2…

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Sun & Sands Beach Resort, Stay well away

Hi justamazing.

Must agree with doffcocker.

Look at all the recent positive reviews - not just an odd one from 'professional moaners' who would find faults anywhere

Go with an open mind and like most of us kenyaholics you will get hooked.

Get out of the hotel on trips and go out into the village - you will see the real Kenya and it will give you lasting memories. Better than just sitting around a pool.

We still communicate weekly with beachboys and villagers that we met in Kikambala 3 years ago.

If you want anymore info send me a p.m.

Get answers to your questions about Kikambala