We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resturant

Which Kikambala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
2 posts
Save Topic
Resturant

going to sun n sand in two weeks at last ,looking at some resturants near by and have head a lot about La Marina and want to know how far it is away and could I get a taxie from the hotel also the Maridadi but could not find this on the internet could anyone help

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,326 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Resturant

Nic,

I should have chosen my words better, the problem is not with the jpegs it is in the website that is hosting them, there is a problem with the HTML code on that website

Manchesster
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Resturant

Please don't hesitate to use the Taxi recommended by Hazel, we did back in Febuary and found him to be an excellent man and a good driver also very reasonable

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Resturant

La Marina is one of our favourite restaurants. The Sun and Sand will arrange for them to come and pick you up. The transfer is not free but around 100 shillings each, nothing really. We always tip the driver as well.

The Moorings is gorgeous too and we love the food here, fantastic setting but my woos of a husband can not eat on the floating bit outside as it makes him feel sea sick!!! They do not do transport so you will need to use a taxi. We have a driver who we use as well who is very good, let me know if you want the number

There is an indian restaurant on the way to Nyali just after Mtwapa and just before Nakamatt and I can't for the life of me remember what its called but we had a great curry there earlier in the year.

For a special treat the the Tamarind Dhow is really nice, not cheap at $85 each but worth every penny in my opinion, fantastic food, an awsome setting and very romantic.........until you get slightly sozzled on the vodka and lime drinks LOL

Maridadi is nice, fantastic setting but not great value in my opinion. We walk down there from the Royal Reserve for coffee and biscuits during the day, their coffee is gorgeous but I think the meals are very expensive. Its quite a long walk from S&S, around 45 mins I reckon, thats a long way in the heat of the day. Why not walk down there, have a coffee and look at the menu and see what you think. If you do want to book a table there if you ask one of the beach boys to do it for you they get 10% commission

Have a great time

Nikola :O)

southend on sea...
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Resturant

We have been to both La Marina and the Maridadi and can recommend both. As previously mentioned La Marina is on Mwtapa Creek and the Maridadi is a few hundred yards from the Royal Reserve resort in Kikambala. We also had two visits to the Moorings, a floating restaurant and can also recommend this restaurant..

There was an incident at the Maridadi several weeks ago, it happened in the evening, an American tourist was attacked. It seemed as if this was an isolated incident involving a gang from outside the area. We were advised to go there during the daytime. We heeded this advice and really enjoyed our meal. Whilst you are there, try the rope bridge up the stairs and enjoy a tusker overlooking the ocean.

La Marina, I was treated to a 50th Birthday meal here and had a great time, the food was great as was the service.

As for the Moorings,if you go ask for Magic Duncan, he served us during our first visit and needless to say as we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, we went back a second time!

Again the food was excellent.

brighton Uk
Level Contributor
4 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Resturant

Just returned from Kikimbala...after a short break in Lamu (Shella)`

I discovered between Kikimbala and Vipingo a peaceful and magical small hotel and restaurant 'The Secret Hotel and Restaurant .Quiet and relaxing with beautiful 10 new cottage accommodations..Superb service from staff who magically seem to be aware of all your needs,comfort and cuisine. I was so impressed I stayed throughout Christmas and New Year So new, website not yet available..but more information can be found by emaling piccolo@iconnect.co.ke. The Moorings is a superb restaurant in a beautiful location. likewise The Boathouse..both a short taxi or car ride away.. Reliable taxis can be called from the Sun and Sound Hotel. My friends tried and enjoyed Boca boca a seychelle restaurant nearbye.

Edited: 10 January 2010, 10:31
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Resturant

I too can recommend The Secret, run by Pietro & Leslie who have been very successful in two other hotels in Kilifi, unlike the majority of other places, Pietro cooks whatever is on offer by the local fishermen on the day so often there is the menu of the day which is very fresh & excellent, Leslie makes brilliant pasta so you can be assured of a very warm welcome & very good food. They also have little self contained cottages, beautiful inside & a decent price, although it is not on the beachfront the pool is great.

It is about a 10 minute journey from Sun n Sands and definately with a visit.

The Miridadi is run by a German lady, very clean & a beautiful setting but we always find the starters / tapas to be better than the main courses, again good for lunch but a little expensive in comparison to others in the area.

Edited: 10 January 2010, 13:08
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Resturant

We spent New Years Day Night at La Marina, the food was just the best ever. Please go and have a great time.

We booked via the hotel (Sun n Sand), a mini bus was sent for us and was waiting for us when we had finished our meal. There was no charge wottsoever for this transport, we did tip the driver, but the transport was free.

The cost of the meal was approx £20 per with drinks (and we had the most expensive meal on the menu)

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Resturant

" discovered between Kikimbala and Vipingo a peaceful and magical small hotel and restaurant 'The Secret Hotel and Restaurant "

Is Vipingo north of Kikambala? Sorry i've not heard of this village but very interested in visiting the restaurant

Many thanks

Nikola :O)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Resturant

Hi Nikola

The Secret is opposite Paradise Hotel, north of Sun n Sands, if you take the signs for Paradise Hotel from the main road you will find it or just take the back road north from Sun n Sands, its a bit bumpy but its ok, a little bit different, they do Sunday lunches & sometimes have entertainment on as well. Hope you enjoy it.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Resturant

We are already on the back Sun and Sand road as we stay at the Royal Reserve, just to the south of S&S, is it within walking distance for lunch do you think?

Get answers to your questions about Kikambala