We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best deal on flights

Kirkintilloch...
5 posts
Save Topic
best deal on flights

Hi, we are visiting the Royal Reserve resort in July 2012 for 2 weeks we are a family of 6, 2 adults 4 kids, will it be easier for me to organise a safari before we head or are we better off booking locally. Also i find it hard to work out who to book our flights with so if anyone has any advice......and has anyone noticed any problems locally with regards to all these travel alerts that keep popping up, like terrorism threats etc...? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Flumster

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,025 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best deal on flights

Hi,

Welcome to Tripadvisor and the Kenya forums.

It will be easier if you organise a safari before you go, you can still do it locally but you can compare different options from different companies at your leisure and from the comfort of your own home and not spend valuable holiday time trying to find just what you want and the best deal. Go to the Kenya or Mombasa forums and just scan down the list of questions and you'll see lots of recommendations.The Kenya forum allows you to see all the forums together, including this one (which is one of the less busy ones).

I'd suggest that as you live in Kirkintilloch that you look at flying with KLM via Amsterdam, as you will be able to fly from Glasgow or Edinburgh. Or check the sites such as Opodo, Expedia, etc for the best deals on scheduled flights, or for flight only on charter flights try Travelrepublic.co.uk (though their best deals are usually late bookings which is probably not what you would want with 4 kids).

I live in Mtwapa around 5 miles from Royal Reserve and other than increased security at the hotels, supermarkets and shopping,mall there has been no effect at all here, everyone is getting on with normal life, tourists are enjoying the usual peaceful relaxed holidays.

This is a copy of what I have posted on several of the recent threads about security

❝Here in Kenya life is going on as usual. there is increased security, for example, cars are stopped and searched at the entrance to mall car parks, and customers are scanned with metal detectors as they enter supermarkets, hotels, etc

The coast resorts other than those in the Lamu area were always safe from the threat of pirates and the kidnap attacks as they were too far away from their bases in Somalia. That threat has receded anyway because of the security forces presence in the area and the fact that the Kenyan Army in Somalia has taken the towns that were used as bases for those attacks.and Lamu is open for business.

The situation changed after the Kenyan troops went into Somalia, the threat was no longer kidnappers, but terrorist reprisal attacks. There were two grenade attacks on working class Kenyan areas in Nairobi, but the perpetrators were quickly caught. There have been a few attacks in the town of Garissa, towards the Somali border, by Al Shabaab sympathisers, but other than that there has been nothing.

The threat now is one we have lived with for decades in the UK, first from the IRA and more recently from Al Qaeda, the threat of a terrorist act, which of course itf it happens could happen anywhere.

The current situation is a bit puzzling as nothing seems to have changed here. There have been no public announcements of a change in status here by the Kenyan Government, but presumably the FCO has reasons for the statements it issued over last weekend.

I think the situation now is that the geographic location is irrelevant, if Al Qaeda are assisting Al Shabaab, then it is the nature of the target chosen for its impact, that is important rather than its location. The risk is that they will try for a 'spectacular' (as the IRA used to call it) to show that they are still a power. If this happens then tragically some people will be in the wrong place at the wrong time like the poor souls that were on the tube or a particular bus in London on 7/7. No-one knows if, when or where that strike will take place. .

But at the moment there are thousands of tourists here carrying on as usual, relaxing and enjoying their holiday❞

A further point, the alerts and warnings are about crowded places, sporting events, rallies, shopping malls, nightclubs, etc. Royal Reserve is a small development out on a limb not quite in the middle of nowhere but certainly not in a populous area, not somewhere that fits the warning.

Kirkintilloch...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best deal on flights

That's a very comprehensive reply many thanks for that. I read on one forum that there is a wee local school and that they could always do with pencils, paper etc, now not wanting to offend anyone.....is it therefor a good idea to bring a backpack with supplies etc? And lastly what in your opinion is the nicest ( bearing kids in mind ) national park to visit. All your advice is greatly appreciated.

Carianne

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kikambala
Level Contributor
525 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best deal on flights

There is certainly a small school nearby. At the moment I am not sure of their need for pencils etc. Maybe wait until you get to RR to find out. These supplies can easily be bought locally. Maybe not such good quality but it helps local business.One of the greatest needs at present is food. A taxi would take you to suppliers for the most appropriate items. I regularly visit RR and will be there in April. If you need any info please ask. I also have a contact nos for the little school, and a nos for reliable taxi driver.

Kirkintilloch...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best deal on flights

Ok, when you say food do you mean dried and or tinned food (presumably fresh food will be 'off'quicker than cans etc.....) Are sweets ok to bring or is that a big no..no... Any information you can give will be good, I would like to help as I think this holiday will be a real 'eye opener' for our kids and I am sure that they would like contribute something to the local kids too, again as long as local people are not offended ofcourse!!

Thanks

Carianne

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,025 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best deal on flights

Hi,

The food they need is Unga (Maize flour) to make Ugali a staple food, rice, oil, beans, vegetables, meat, (beef mince, chicken), etc

More info in the FAQ on visiting schools and orphanages on the right of this page.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best deal on flights

If you did want to bring items for schools, we found that pens were most appreciated. Pens and scientific calculators at the High Schools. Best thing for the orphanage was socks and underwear - especially white socks for school and anything but white underwear. The orphanage I support is near Nairobi so not sure if there are different needs on the coast. Better to give a donation to buy food that to bring food from home.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best deal on flights

Just remembered - take lots of football shirts (all ages and sizes) and you'll be a guaranteed hit! Little gingham school dresses also go down a treat.

Kirkintilloch...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best deal on flights

Ok good to know.

Thanks again for all your advice

Carianne

Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best deal on flights

For goodness sake don't be tempted to bring/give sweets, sugary drinks, or anything which may increase the chances of tooth decay.

Flights: I have often got my best deals from 'lastminute.com'. As Doff says, KLM is worth considering from your location. They are usually 'competitively priced' and it is also worth checking their website for offers and prices. Connections in Amsterdam are usually good, with short stopovers.

Kirkintilloch...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: best deal on flights

Yes I have had a good look around online however for us it seems to work out the cheapest to fly from Manchester, I was just wondering if we should hold off or not. On the other hand it is the high season especially for the UK as all schools will be off as we are leaving on the 20th of July.....decisions making is not my strong point....

I have also had a look at safaris and a name that has popped up a couple of times is a J.T safaris ( Julius....? ) anyone else know a bit more about this company?

Thanks to all, it's great to know that there are peope out there who care....

Carianne

Get answers to your questions about Kikambala