We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The future of Sun & Sand?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,651 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
The future of Sun & Sand?

http://oceansevenkenya.com/

30 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The future of Sun & Sand?

Cannot believe this is Kenya. What happened to the grubby 3 star hotels passing off as 5 star, and the beach shacks we all know?

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The future of Sun & Sand?

Have not stayed at Sun And Sand but that is why we always go to the South Coast.

Looks as if Benidorm (not that that I have been) has come to the North!

Edited: 12 April 2012, 14:59
Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The future of Sun & Sand?

Good grief, what an utter monstrosity. I shall decline a stay in this one.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The future of Sun & Sand?

it is a bit of a glitch on the previous site but you cant possibly compare this to Benidorm . The staff needed for this hotel will help most of the locals and I hope the clientel this project wants to entice will bring a bit of prosperity to the suffering people of Kikambala......

if it needs a review? I am available.. but my Helicoptor is in the work shop being overhauled at the moment .....

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The future of Sun & Sand?

Sorry to disagree but this is truly Benidorm!!!

Edited: 12 April 2012, 19:57
South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,171 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The future of Sun & Sand?

Skyscraper City is an informative website with a forum on the latest builds in Mombasa.....http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2637

Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,708 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The future of Sun & Sand?

I agree about the look - its awful. This isn't a hotel though. Its a complex of apartments.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,651 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The future of Sun & Sand?

As K says its a residential development though a reduced version of the old hotel is to be retained. .

❝Plans include a boutique hotel, restaurants, supermarket, bank, travel agency, health clinic, etc in the commercial towers 6 & 7 which will be built at the end of the development. In the meantime, the residents of Phase 1 will have access to all the services and amenities of the existing hotel on the premises.❞

I had heard the Chinese were involved in a huge residential development in Kikambala, I wonder if this is it or whether there is going to be another one as well

Benidorm it certainly is not. Like most recent developments on the North Coast (in Nyali, Bamburi and Shanzu) it is aimed primarily at affluent Kenyans and ex-pats looking to buy to live, for holiday homes or investment.

❝Nairobi and property around the coastal town of Mombasa not only made the list of fastest growing luxury real estate markets. They topped it, beating out cities like Miami, Cape Town, Bali and Vancouver. ❞ Africa Business Source

Far from heading down the Benidorm route the North Coast seems to be heading in the opposite direction, is seems to be increasingly targeting local customers, conferences, etc and as in this development moving from hotel to business and residential development. It seems the North Coast hotels are now generally too expensive for the UK package tour operators who are switching their attention to the cheaper South Coast hotels (the relative volume of traffic on these forums would seem to bear this out, the bulk of UK posts used to be for Bamburi and Nyali, now there seem to be more for Diani and Ukunda)

The general feel here is that Nyali will become the new business district as the Town is too physically constrained. As Nyali changes from villas to offices and apartment blocks so the current landowners are starting to move out and develop in new areas.

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The future of Sun & Sand?

It is not only Sun N Sand which is developing,

look at the Ngomongo Village wich will be soon be transferd to

www.paradiseapartmentsmombasa.com

and Cowrie Shell in Bamburi