We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day trip from Nairobi

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
158 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
One day trip from Nairobi

We have recently moved here and I am looking to do a one-day trip from Nairobi. Originally we had planned to stay one night at Olerai House but now we only have one day so I wanted to some suggestions on how to spend that day.

I think we want to do the boat trip on Lake Naivasha and then ideally if we can combine with walking around an area where there is a good chance of seeing wildlife "upclose" (this is what was the appeal with Olerai House). I have heard about Crescent Island - would that be a good destination as part of a day trip? Also heard about Hells gate but for this trip not my first choice (because it sounds like more hiking and I would want to have more time and not just half a day). Other suggestions?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,987 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One day trip from Nairobi

You could also look into a day trip to Lake Nakuru, much wildlife there. Or even Nairobi NP as other ideas.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day trip from Nairobi

We have already done Nairobi National Park and we are saving Lake Nakuru for when we are staying overnight. I think it is too far for a day trip.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day trip from Nairobi

If you want to see wildlife in Naivasha, then head off to Crater Lake. I saw plenty of game there, not any of Big 5, but more "domestic" type of wildlife , like impalas, eland , zebra,etc.etc....

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day trip from Nairobi

Yes I have heard good things about Crater Lake. Do you know if you can just come and visit for a day?

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day trip from Nairobi

No problem to do a day visit to Crater Lake sanctuary - there's a small entry fee. You might also do a trip to Swara Plains, about 30 mins drive past the airport turning on the Mombasa road. Lots of plains game (few to zero predators but a lovely atmosphere) and a very pleasant lodge for lunch, drinks etc.

Richard Trillo

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day trip from Nairobi

Swara Plain is a new tip I haven't heard of. We will try that another time but for this one we want to head north to Lake Naivasha. So Crater Lake is better than Crescent Island (for walking around looking at animals)?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day trip from Nairobi

Looks like we will try Crater Lake. How do you get there and when you get there can you just pick up a local guide there (for walking)?

8. Re: One day trip from Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2014, 06:15