We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear on safari

london
Level Contributor
113 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear on safari

Hi we are have booked a 2 night safari in April just wondering what to wear during day and evening thanks ang

Exeter Devon
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear on safari

I went on my fisrt safari in Kenya in September. I was surprised that even in the heat of the day, my long linen trousers and long sleeved shirt were cooler than the shorts and pilot shirt I had expected to wear. I wore sandals to keep feet cool.

In the evening it cools quite quickly so each of the hotels had a log fire to sit around. People did not seem to dress smartly in the evening, so mens and girls wore jeans or long trouser and long sleeved shirts. There was only a little smart evening dressing in our Mombassa hotel, which I suspect was due to a smart business conference while we were there.

Enjoy your trip

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,456 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear on safari

Hi,

You might find this FAQ useful - What to pack for a safari - which is on some forum pages (eg Mombasa)

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294206-c3322/Kenya…

london
Level Contributor
113 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear on safari

Thanks the list was very helpful ang

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
15 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear on safari

I advice you to take first of all a trouser, tee-shirt with long sleeves and maybe a thin pullover for late evening as it's a bit fresh in the night. Most important is to protect yourself from the mosquito and sunburn.

One hat is a must, open shoes but not slippers, to be comfortable. Be careful it could be muddy and dusty in different areas. Mid-april start also the raining season in some parts of Kenya

lilongwe
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear on safari

Also try checking the Magical Kenya website

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
239 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear on safari

Just returned Sambru/Masai Mara and wore linen trousers,thin long sleeve tops,just remember you don't get out of the bus/jeep but a cotton scarf was very useful to cover head or arms with. Evenings were still mild,mornings chillier so take a fleece and sit on it on the bus when sun comes up,you will need the padding!!

london
Level Contributor
113 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear on safari

Hi thank you cant wait 6 weeks and countingx

Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
198 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear on safari

We have just returned from Kenya having done our safari at Governors' Camp. Early morning drives (6.30am) were chilly so we took cardigan/hoody top and a scarf to put around neck. Later drives were fine with just t-shirts with either cotton pants or cotton skirt. Evenings people tidied up but most just wore smart casual although I did see some in evening wear ie sparkly tops. I think anything goes. Most people choose to wear khaki colours during the day time.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,646 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear on safari

"splarklie" is a bit over the top :)

Comfy and interchangeable earth-tones during the day and if you wish, for evening, a dark pair of slacks, sweather and piece of chunky faux necklace or scarf (women than is).

Jackets or layers needed morning/nights...it's nippy!. Remember mossie biting time is from dusk-to-dawn, so you should be covered, including socks and repellent on exposed skin except face and back of neck. Wash off before retiring.

April maybe be wet, but should be a problem. For 2/nts only, you really don't need but 1/pr of pants for daytime and change or tops for each day; then maybe a change for evening.

london
Level Contributor
113 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear on safari

Thanks for all your advice 5weeks to go :)