We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Diani area and safaris

Norwich, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Safety in Diani area and safaris

How safe is the Diani area of Kenya and has there been any problems on safaris to Tsavo east and west? We will be staying at the Baobab beach hotel and also travelling to Ashnil Aruba and Severin camp. The recent happenings near the Somali border have been quite off putting but I'm sure the areas we are travelling to are ok. Just a little reassurance required.

Thank you.

bedlington...
Level Contributor
4 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Diani area and safaris

The problems are on the Somalian border, ie. Lamu/ Manda. Through business I am in constant contact with Kenya and especially Diani Beach and the Tsavo safari parks and there is no trouble there.

Enjoy your holiday, and do not let the problems in the north affect your safari, the kenyan people are jewels.

Anne Sanderson

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,456 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Diani area and safaris

Hi,

lots of threads on this topic recently

see this one about Diani from yesterday, it will link you into several more

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294206-i9216-k4…

nottingham
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Diani area and safaris

How many miles is Baobab hotel and the Tsavo East and West safari parks for Samoli border.

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Diani area and safaris

try out Google Maps, pretty reliable for working out distances. Google Earth is even better I think but may take an installation of some software

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Diani area and safaris

Looked on a google website and Diani is 594 miles from Somila border.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,456 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Diani area and safaris

Sorry, but Diani beach is 230 miles as the crow flies from the nearest point on the Somali border, (which is importantly at the coast), but it also has the major city of Mombasa and the large tourist town of Malindi between it and the border

At its nearest point (its eastern edge) Tsavo East is 180 miles from the border, Tsavo West is on the far side of Tsavo East and is 235 miles to the border, they are also well inland.

But if you read the threads linked above you will see, it is not just the distance it is the nature of the area near the border and the characteristics of Lamu, etc that are the crucial aspect.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Diani area and safaris

You have to get up pretty early in the morning to catch Doff' out!

…villagephotos.com/p/…20Somalia.jpg

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Diani area and safaris

Thank you for all the replies, it does help to know what the area is like from people who know. My wife was quite concerned about staying in an unfenced safari camp such as Severin - not because of the animals but the other reports!

Any other information from recent travellers would be useful.

Again thank you for the posts.

Edited: 09 October 2011, 08:50
scotland
Level Contributor
14 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in Diani area and safaris

Hi Kazzer

We returned on friday from the Baobab hotel and also did the Tsavo East and West Safari. You have nothing to worry about - we felt really safe whilst there (and i'm a worrier) and that included us going to visit an orphanage and taking a taxi to another hotel a few miles away. The safari lodges are very safe - no need to worry about animals or people. (maybe the monkeys)

The Baobab is fab - you will be approached by beach boys but a gentle no thank you i'm not interested - is enough to make them go away.

Have a brillant holiday.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety in Diani area and safaris

Many thanks for all the replies they have been very reassuring. We are really looking forward to the holiday and experiencing Kenya.