We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester flights pulled - again!

Manchester England
Level Contributor
238 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Manchester flights pulled - again!

Was due to travel to Diani Sea Resort in October -needless to say First Choice have pulled the Manchester flights again and our holiday has been cancelled - despite the fact it has been booked for eight months. The choice is go via Gatwick on a different day or don't go at all. This is our third attempt at getting back to Kenya from Manchester - we tried to get a Manchester flight last October, again this March and finally got a flight for this October - but that's gone as well now! The lady in the travel agents said they had cancelled the Manchester Maldive flights as well. When will they realise not all life revolves around London. wouldn't be so annoying if I didn't live in sight of Manchester airport - why would I want to travel to a different one. Just thought I'd warn anyone looking to book that you are going to have difficulties - I have been looking all morning and can't find another Manchester carrier - only the usual option of Amsterdam - Nairobi - Mombasa.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Manchester flights pulled - again!

As malla says, ultimately it is a business decision. If a route/package is not generating sufficient revenue, it can't be sustained. Unless the company concerned wants to go out of business altogether...

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,648 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Manchester flights pulled - again!

I agree mary. Somefolks want their cake and their halfpenny. Takes all sorts and I have to agree, the less changes, the less chance for things to go wrong.

FL410. Well whilst what you say is correct in part there is another side to it. Maximising profits. Why needlessly lay out cash with staff etc., at "Out Stations", when you can herd the sheep to a central hub and fleece them all there?

Look at what BA does. NO Long haul international flights to speak of from the regions. Ship em all down to Lundun in numerous shuttles and then moan like hell about congested runways and terminals at LHR.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Manchester flights pulled - again!

Oh Mfuwe, what have BA ever done to you??

I agree that I'm very lucky to live within an hour of LHR & am therefore able to make use of BAs excellent product. Believe me, BA has upped its game enormously over the past couple of years. T5 is a revelation, with easy check in facilities & zero delay clearing security. The lounges are light & spacious & provide great views of the airfield.

The aircraft are getting long in the tooth but unlike Virgin, BA has continued to upgrade its Club World & First cabins. Their new aircraft should start entering service later this year alongside the new 777 3 series.

The introduction of "New Fleet" has vastly improved the standard of the CC. The industrial action saw the demise of many of the old dinosaurs & the resulting cabin service is now much slicker & more friendly.

I'll be sampling the product again LHR-CPT on 1 March, I hope that I don't have to eat my words. ;-)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,648 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Manchester flights pulled - again!

<<Oh Mfuwe, what have BA ever done to you??>>

You want I should prepare the list? I'll give you one to start with...

BA 'bought' our local airline which had a frequent service to LHR. They promptly switched the flights to LGW (but kept the slots at LHR) They then dumped the airline. ALL they wanted was the LHR slots.

Nice people (not!)

Still wondering why I fly via AMS?

As for <<BA has upped its game enormously over the past couple of years.>> They needed to.

<< T5 is a revelation, with easy check in facilities & zero delay clearing security. The lounges are light & spacious & provide great views of the airfield.>>

So what? I go there to fly not lounge. (well to be honest I don't go there!)

Well you did ask Nic.

14 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Manchester flights pulled - again!

In November 2003 I got on a BA Flight at Heathrow to fly to Sydney to see England win the Rugby World Cup. I thought I must have got on the wrong flight as the plane was just about suitable to fly for a couple of hours to Spain. Crammed to the rafters with the least legroom possible I vowed never again.

14 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Manchester flights pulled - again!

In November 2003 I got on a BA Flight at Heathrow to fly to Sydney to see England win the Rugby World Cup. I thought I must have got on the wrong flight as the plane was just about suitable to fly for a couple of hours to Spain. Crammed to the rafters with the least legroom possible I vowed never again.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Manchester flights pulled - again!

Mfuwe, if I lived in the republic of the IOM then I'd probably do the same. However, as a soft southerner, I'm more than happy with the BA product.

As for the duplicated comments above, what with my age, height & the state of my lower back, I'm unable to fly long haul unless I turn left when boarding the aircraft. ;-)

14 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Manchester flights pulled - again!

Then duplication is obviously an error. Glad you can afford to turn left

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,648 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Manchester flights pulled - again!

Nic,

<<what with my age, height & the state of my lower back, I'm unable to fly long haul unless I turn left when boarding the aircraft. ;-)>>

'appen it must be us tough northerners and our canny ways but when I am down the back, as old if not older with my knees under my chin, I console myself with the thought that I can do two holidays for the price the guy in the posh end can. It eases the pain in my lower back a lot, or maybe that is the Gin. Sithee!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,728 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Manchester flights pulled - again!

I haven't used Big Airfares for several years, not since they 'rationalised' their domestic service meaning it was so much cheaper to take the train down to one of the Great Wen's airports that it far outweighed the inconvenience. I'd already given up on their international flights where I could avoid them. Occasionally you could get a decent price on a route where they were a code-share and occasionally they were the only realistic option, but generally they were much more expensive.

Their customer service was appalling, their ground staff treated you with arrogance and the cabin crews always seemed to treat their customers at best with an attitude of a nuisance to be foreborn at worst outright contempt. Especially as I've always enjoyed a couple of drinks on a flight, when they took a leaf out of the American Cabin Staff manual and treated you as a potential air rage candidate if you asked for a second drink. (For me one of the biggest pluses of KQ is their attitude to in flight refreshment)

Fortunately KLM started doing the connections to Amsterdam, suddenly the convenience of checking your bags through from your local airport (less than 15 minutes from my UK base), significantly cheaper fares (when does BA ever feature in the top few options on the comparison websites?), the wonderful Schipol instead of the nightmare London airports (haven't been to the new terminal)l, and genuinely pleasant cabin crews, (even if its not the Kenyan crews the Dutch ones put BA's to shame)

Then joy Emirates started flying from Newcastle as well, opening up reasonably priced direct access by a very good airline to the rest of the world. (Shame about Dubai airport though) and they have been kind enough to upgrade me a couple of times, so I see the attraction of turning left, but I couldn't justify the cost.

i agree with Mfuwe, in the last few years I used to take half a dozen foreign trips a year, if I had turned left I could have only afforded one or two at most..

Different strokes ....ヅ