We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester flights pulled - again!

Manchester England
Level Contributor
236 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Manchester flights pulled - again!

Was due to travel to Diani Sea Resort in October -needless to say First Choice have pulled the Manchester flights again and our holiday has been cancelled - despite the fact it has been booked for eight months. The choice is go via Gatwick on a different day or don't go at all. This is our third attempt at getting back to Kenya from Manchester - we tried to get a Manchester flight last October, again this March and finally got a flight for this October - but that's gone as well now! The lady in the travel agents said they had cancelled the Manchester Maldive flights as well. When will they realise not all life revolves around London. wouldn't be so annoying if I didn't live in sight of Manchester airport - why would I want to travel to a different one. Just thought I'd warn anyone looking to book that you are going to have difficulties - I have been looking all morning and can't find another Manchester carrier - only the usual option of Amsterdam - Nairobi - Mombasa.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,109 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Manchester flights pulled - again!

Perhaps if they brought the prices down for packages and flights people might be tempted to book? It wasn't that many years ago you could get a seat on a charter for under £200 - those were the days!

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Manchester flights pulled - again!

Tembofan, was that in the days of the DC3??

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,191 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Manchester flights pulled - again!

Or the Short Empire "C" Solent?

The trouble is Tembofan. People ARE tempted to book. It is just the Charters don't deliver and can treat would be Pax like sheep!

If pax did NOT book in such a rush to be fleeced, the likes of thomson might get the message.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,459 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Manchester flights pulled - again!

I booked a last minute charter flight to Mombasa for around £200 in early 2007 through Travel Republic, but there were 4 or 5 companies flying the route then, it was before First Choice merged with Tui (Thomson)

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Manchester flights pulled - again!

I have used Thompson for my last 4 trips and feel that I have had value for money. They have always delivered for me, flights on time, good leg room (booked extra leg room and premium economy) Cabin crew friendly and attentive, and good choice of in-flight entertainment. As for prices, I don't think they are fleecing people as I get what i pay for and am happy to pay the price

Fleecing people is the railway company who charged me £232 for a return ticket from Kent to Birmingham last week.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,191 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Manchester flights pulled - again!

Well done Bruce. But would your feelings still be the same after having bought a plane ticket in good faith and then been told "Oh that flight is cancelled, you have to buy that £232 rtn train ticket to LGW as well now!"

Good value? Not!

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Manchester flights pulled - again!

The rail ticket would cost about £80 each return mine was so expensive as it was last minute.

So with an additional £80 still value for money. Yes

Convenient No

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,191 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Manchester flights pulled - again!

But with even that £80 known up front why bother? Now as cheap, and much more relaible and convenient, to fly KLM.

£80 would buy you premium economy too.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
39. Re: Manchester flights pulled - again!

My daughter & I booked to go this June toTBBC Watamu last year from Manchester & like others I got call to say Manchester flights had been cancelled & in effect holiday was cancelled, we were offered alternative dates & now go 2 days earlier from Gatwick which I must say I didnt relish!! have always managed to go from Glasgow or Manchester.Funnily enough it has actually worked out cheaper as they (Thomsons) gave us £150 each off the holiday & though it cost just under £100 each for our return flights from Edinburgh it was going to cost us an arm & a leg for the train & a bus was just a non-starter & I managed to get flights that fit in very well with our flight times so at the moment this seems have to have worked out a bit better though full judgement is reserved until we return!! It will give us a bit more spending money as would have had to get down to Manchester & original holiday price. I dont understand how post no.28 has only been advised as we found this out at least 2 months ago I hope she manages to get somewhere with her complaint & gets her dream wedding. Only 7 weeks to go now for us .Hope I will be posting FABULOUS HOLIDAY post when we get back

nottingham
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
40. Re: Manchester flights pulled - again!

Hi,

To message no 28 just read your report I left a report no 3 which was a long while ago now but our holiday flight from Mancheseter was cancelled and Thomson never told us.

I think Thomson are disgusting to treat people in this manner and are lying about not knowing when flights have been cancelled is it to much work for them to give good customer service when you have paid them your hard earnt money and to let customers know what is happening do they not understand people have busy lifes and have to plan ahead of the holiday and organise around familly and work.