We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights via Amsterdam

Manchester England
Level Contributor
238 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Flights via Amsterdam

Hi there,

Having just had our Manchester flight cancelled yet again to Mombasa and so consequently had our holiday cancelled I am looking into alternatives. I am not going to travel to Gatwick with First Choice on principle as the holiday had been booked for nine months.

I have heard on this forum that travelling the Amsterdam Nairobi Mombasa route is fairly ok and I see Hayes and Jarvis do this route from Manchester. can anyone please advise me who has travelled this way -is it fairly easy. I realise it will make for a bit of a longer journey but I'm just concerned what happens if you miss connections because of delays etc. Anyone's experiences of this journey would be much appreciated. I know when the Manchester flight has been cancelled before First Choice have said that if we get a flight from Manchester to Gatwick and it's late and we miss the connection they are not obliged to do anything. I was wondering as Hayes and Jarvis flight are advertised as Manchester -Amsterdam - Nairobi - Mombasa and you only get your luggage back for the Nairobi Mombasa bit and have to check in again in Nairobi, does this mean if there is a delay they sort out a new connection as it was made apparent First Choice wouldn't do that going from London. many thanks for any help given as we are trying to make a decision. We have also never used Hayes and Jarvis before.

Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights via Amsterdam

Yes, I have done this route, quite frequently, from London, Durham Tees Valley and Newcastle, but using KLM Citihopper to Amsterdam. I found it to be fine. Depending on your arrival time in Amsterdam, delays were relatively short (2 -3 hrs) and Amsterdam isn't an unpleasant airport for a stopover. Just check the different flight times for the arrival, Amsterdam and departure from it - have found that the cheapest tickets come with lengthy stopovers.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights via Amsterdam

AS long as you are booked all the way through from MAN-AMS-NBO-MBA and then if a connection is missed you will be put on the next one automatically and will be put up overnight if that arose.

My connection in AMS is quite often only 50 mins and ive never missed it yet as KLM seem very reliable on times out if NCL.

If your connections have a few hours in between i would not worry.

What is your reason for using Hayes and Jarvis with scheduled flights?

Manchester England
Level Contributor
238 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights via Amsterdam

Thanks for your help everyone,

The only reason we are not going Manchester to mombasa is that the First Choice direct flights have been pulled and I don't really want to travel down to London. It's annoying as I live 5 mins from Manchester Airport. I'm trying to find an alternative route.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights via Amsterdam

But why would you use Hayes and Jarvis to book with?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights via Amsterdam

I don't go to Mombassa but I regularly travel via AMS to many African destinations from MAN.

Connections are guaranteed if it is one ticket. i.e. MAN-AMS-NBO-Mombasa.

If for some unfortunate reason a connection is missed, you still have a valid ticket and they WILL get you there.

And AMS is such an easy place to change planes. Like Mal I have taken some tight connections to the wire. 50 minute layover with a 30 minute delay and been scampered over the terminal.

shamba25
Level Contributor
245 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights via Amsterdam

Hi I have also traveled via Amsterdam many times & had no problems.

Amseterdam airport is very user friendly. Your luggage needs to be picked up at NBO on your outward journey, you then walk approx 5 mins outside to a smaller terminal. on your return journey the luggage goes all the way from mombasa/manchester. If any of your flights are cancelled/delayed a new flight will be arranged for you a no extra cost. Added bonus is your luggage allowance is 46kg so you can take more pens/meds/clothes to leave is thats what you normally do. I also only live 5 mins from manchester airport & used Gatwick/mombasa & would never do it again, there was only a small time period to get the last manchester flight on the way back to much of a panic. I also used to fly first choice but there was a delay everytime on that flligt so decided to arrange myself. I assume you are arranging via Hayes & Jarvis because you are looking at a package holiday?? If not try Skyscanner for flights, this will also give you an idea of timings or Travelsupermarket.com for flights & hotels. Any good flight supplier should also be able arrange a hotel & advise of timings. Hope this helped if you have any other questions just shout out & I hope the flight prob will not spoil your holiday.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights via Amsterdam

I don't see why you are changing from First choice to Hayes and Jarvis as they are both owned by the same company,

As you don't want to fly to Gatwick you are now going to take 3 flights rather than 2 and still pay TUI for the privilege

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights via Amsterdam

It is still three flights either way. OP has to get to LGW from MAN and maybe it is the principal of the thing? I would guess that routing via AMS would be by KLM otherwise as you say not much point.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights via Amsterdam

Two flights Manchester- Gatwick- Mombasa. The cancelled flight was direct from Manchester to Mombasa

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights via Amsterdam

True but do TUI go via AMS?