We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver for Gorilla Trek

USA
Level Contributor
846 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Driver for Gorilla Trek

Does anyone have a recommendation for a driver for a couple of days for a gorilla trek from Kigali to Ruhengeri/the park? What is the cost? Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driver for Gorilla Trek

Are you just looking for someone to drive you from Kigali to Ruhengeri? Or are you looking for a tour guide for visiting other parts of Rwanda? The actual gorilla tracking, as you probably know, is led by ORTPN rangers -- private guides do not go along.

Brooklyn-Phoenicia...
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driver for Gorilla Trek

driver from kigali to ruhengeri should be in the $80-$100 range (that's what i paid summer '09).

driver for gorilla trekking (taking you from ruhengeri to park entrance) is $100 (i paid $80 in summer '09 but rates seem to have gone up).

i highly recommend the following drivers either for tranportation from kigali to ruhengeri or to gorilla trek. they are both extremely reliable, know everything about rwanda and fun to be around. they are both based in ruhengeri.

fidele muhire: fidelemuhire@yahoo.fr

jean-bosco habimana: habimabos@yahoo.fr

hope this helps!

Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driver for Gorilla Trek

Hi I will be travelling to Rwanda in June with some friends so thanks for helping me out on this one too.

We are intending to hire a driver from Kigali to Kinigi (past Ruhengeri) as we are staying at the cheap Gorilla place (name completely escapes me at the moment ) but we'd like to get driven to the park entrance on the day of the trek too and the day after a return to Ruhengeri as we want to take a bus from there to Uganda (and avoid going all the way back to Kigali to do this).

Would we be looking at ~$100/day too?

How far in advance do you think we should book a driver? We will be arriving in Rwanda approx 1 week before the day our Gorilla trek is booked. Would that be enough time to book a driver in Kigali??

Thanks for your help

Penny

Brooklyn-Phoenicia...
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driver for Gorilla Trek

penny -

you can book ahead to be on the safe side, or you should be able to find a driver for kigali to kinigi no problem. even last minute. you could even hire one of the taxi men outside your hotel. it's an easy and beautiful drive (should be in the $80-$100USD range).

driver from kinigi to trailhead will be $100USD. that you should probably book in advance. although, you could get a driver at the last minute too (drivers always need work!). i know some people just show up to the ORTPN headquarters in kinigi and try to hitch a ride with other trekkers that have drivers already. that's an option, but a risk.

fee for a ride from kinigi to ruhengeri would be minimal. it's a very short distance.

again, i recommend the guys above that i used.

if anyone feels my information is not correct, please say so!

5. Re: Driver for Gorilla Trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2010, 05:16