We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a single day permit sufficient?

Whistler, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Is a single day permit sufficient?

We are planning to travel to Ruhengeri this September after our time in Kenya however we are only able to secure a single day's permit. We had hoped to obtain two day permits but they are already sold out. Has anyone missed seeing the gorillas on a single day? I know the guides are excellent and have a very good idea about where the groups are but it would just "gut" me to miss them. Also, since a 2nd day isn't available, opinions about the golden monkey permits?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a single day permit sufficient?

I don't recall a single post on here that mentioned folks not getting to see the Gorillas. It must have occurred but very rarely I think. Lots of folk only afford one permit and they do fine.

I cannot help on the so called Golden Monkey but some people enjoy the experience.

Whistler, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a single day permit sufficient?

Thanks for such a quick reply!

Brooklyn-Phoenicia...
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a single day permit sufficient?

I agree with Mfuwe, you're pretty guaranteed to see the gorillas. Don't sweat only having one permit.

The golden monkeys was fun (way different from the gorillas experience of course). If you have the time and money, I'd say the golden monkeys is worth it. It's less of an adventure than the gorillas and more of just a fun wildlife experience.

Whistler, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a single day permit sufficient?

Awesome! Thanks!

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a single day permit sufficient?

Chances of not seeing the gorillas are very slim. I guess if such a scenario happens, you get compansated.

I would suggest yo trek the gorillas once and the following day you track the golden monkeys.

Whistler, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a single day permit sufficient?

Thanks!

7. Re: Is a single day permit sufficient?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 18:15