We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosselbay holiday stay

Cornwall
Level Contributor
125 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Mosselbay holiday stay

I am picking up negative comments about the town, not much to see or do, industrial, built-up and expensive, very few decent places to eat out, - I have looked at various websites and although the sea is obviously the main (and only?) attraction, does that warrant the high prices quoted on the websites? - should we consider an alternative place to spend a month long holiday? We fly into Cape Town and would like to stay at or very near the coast but away from the Cape Peninsula. We wont have transport all the time though. Grateful for your comments.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosselbay holiday stay

Hi there

There is not that much to do in Mosselbay. There is a few boat trips that you can take to seal island, shark cage diving, fishing maybe, a few museums with the history of mosselbay's discovery, hiking trials out side of the town, etc. The restaurants however i must say is very good. A lot to choose from for a variety of meals there certainly is. You have to have a car when you will be staying in Mosselbay, nothing is really within walking distanace. Have a look at this link for accommodation: www.capetown-direct.com .

Regards

Hank

Owner - Ulungele Tours.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosselbay holiday stay

Mosselbay holiday stay - should we consider an alternative place to spend a month long holiday?

YES!!

When are you planning to come? What are your priorities and why have you chosen South Africa? Do you just want Cornwall in the Southern Hemisphere?

For a month in one place I would personally stay somewhere within not much more than an hour from Cape Town. Why not the Cape Peninsula? If you were looking at the industrial town of Mossel Bay anywhere on the peninsula would be prefferable!

However plenty of very quiet places by the sea that might fit. Up the West Coast or on the opposite side of False Bay.

As I first asked though it does depend on time of year. Most coastal places will be busy between mid December and late January. Much like the Cornish coast in July/August!

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosselbay holiday stay

Mossel Bay does undoubtedly have significant industrial and commercial activity but it's not that bad - even the oil/gas refinery is comparatively discreet.

I can't say it is the gourmet capital of the Cape but for good value seafood restaurants then there is choice.

There are various things to do away from the attraction of the beach such as the game reserve at Botlierskop which does day visits and if you like golf there is one of the best courses in SA there (if you can get in)

Cornwall
Level Contributor
125 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosselbay holiday stay

Thanks people - we are going to be down beginning of December until mid January, visiting family spread far and wide but I think we might have to change our mind as to the longer stay in MB, I just can't see us paying those rates, I realise it is during summer but hey, come-on.... !

We are now looking at no more than three days around the area, I assume that public transport is not as frequent as what we are used to so we will have no option but to hire a car, obviously we will then be more flexible where we can stay.

Anyone know a reasonable B&B where we can stay from mid December for three days, we would be ever grateful to hear from you.

Mossel Bay, South...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosselbay holiday stay

Mossel Bay is a fantastic town;yes i live here and yes i am in the tourism industry; but without a doubt its the best town in the Garden Route; otherwise i would not be here. The rates here are normally lower than in the surrounding areas and Cape Town. There are countless activities and all the other towns are a easy drive from Mossel Bay.. The beaches and weather are without equal

Cornwall
Level Contributor
125 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosselbay holiday stay

Hallo Albert - I would hope that the rates for MB are lower than Capetown, you cannot compare apples and pears! However, if we cannot find affordable lodgings, we will pass it by, no big deal, as you say, it is an easy drive further up along the coast..

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosselbay holiday stay

Mosselbay is the best and I prefer it to any other beachtown on the Garden Route. It is not so touristy and is a jewel to explore on your own. Although it has a laid-back style every possible activity cane be done - game drives, other wildlife farms, shark diving, cruises around the island, sea kayaking, cycling, hiking, running, shopping, local crafter workshops etc. There are a wide range of occommodation from self-catering ,B&B and hotels and good deals can be negotiated if early enough. December the town is alive and bookings for accommodation must be done early to secure a nice place. I prefer staying at Point Village Hotel or somewhere in Point Village - it has a lovely atmospheer, safe and with a choice of 8 good restaurants in the area. I just love a swim in the most beautiful natural pool in the sea and a morning hike on the St Blaze Trail to start my day - then I am free to do the fresh oysters, pizza and beer!!!Drives to Oudtshoorn, ostrich capital and Cango caves just 90km, George Airport 50km.

Yes gourmet restaurants are few and the the focus in most restaurants are relaxed with a friendly vibrant atmospheer. DO NOT MISS MOSSELBAY - a jewel still undiscovered. O Yes and I used a shuttle service at night - they are excellent.

I am so happy to have discovered Mosselbay

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosselbay holiday stay

If you are now going to hire a car, why not spend your month exploring a bit instead of staying in just one place. You have enough time do see and do A LOT! Post a list of the type of activities you enjoy and I am sure you will get many recommendations for places to visit.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Mossel Bay, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosselbay holiday stay

Dear people, Mossel Bay is where we originate from, and is in the proccess of being declared a Provincial, National and World Heritage Site.

Mossel Bay's significance in respect of Modern Thinking Man, is perfectly illustrated in the 8 articles mentioned hereunder, as the fascinating story of man unfolds.

See website www.mosselbayman.co.za.

1.Archeology Mossel Bay – Origin of Modern Thinking Man

2.Archeology Mossel Bay – The Historical Capital Of The World

3.Archeology Mossel Bay – When The Mossel Bay Sea Saved Humanity –

Scientific American

4.Archeology Mossel Bay – We Are The Apes Who Took To The Sea –

Wall Street Journal

5.Archeology Mossel Bay – Human Evolution And The Great Leap Forward

6.San / Khoisan Genetic Evolution, World Population Family Tree, DNA

Migration and the Great Leap Forward

7.Genetics: Age Of Association between Helicobacter pylori and Modern

Thinking Man

8.Genetics: Body Louse: Clothing Originated in Mossel Bay 170,000 years

ago

De Waal Lubbe

Mossel Bay, South...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosselbay holiday stay

I am somewhat surprissed at some of the comments made. Mossel Bay certyainly offer a good choice of restuarants, two blue flag beaches and then just about every activity imaginable. The local tourist office have recently produced a brochure called "Things to Do" and I can asure you that you will never be bored. Apart from the beaches and the town itself you can also explore much further afiels. There three game reserves closeby and if you need a diffrent option what about some walking trails or horse riding in the mountains at Eight Bells. Only 35 km from the town and you will find yourself in beautiful surroundings at a four-star mountain lodge offering wide-open spaces but with an English country feel.

Don't bypass the gem of The Garden Route.

Get answers to your questions about Mossel Bay