We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteer Work

Washington, D.C.
2 posts
Save Topic
Volunteer Work

My sister and I plan to spend about 4 weeks in and around Moshi and would like to do some volunteer work. I've been researching organizations but can only find large, volunteering programs where you pay a large fee and do an actual program. We are prepared to find our own accommodation and fend for ourselves and were wondering if anyone knew of any good organizations that would allow us to volunteer for a few weeks?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volunteer Work

I know of several organizations which take on volunteers; but not in Moshi. In Moshi there is a large hospital which I would imagine might take some volunteers but they will probably need some specific skills. The good organizations who take volunteers in Tz, which I know of, are not located in Moshi.

One is Tanzania ecoVolunteerism in Tanga Tz and their web site is www.volunteerintanzania.org I know the man in charge of this group, his name is Mohamed Yasin. They do good work and do not charge you so much for doing this, but they do have a small organization charge to pick you up and bring you to Tanga (on the NW Coast of Tz) and then they have a hostel where you can stay and you will be expected to pay for your room and meals.

Another group is an American doctor and his nurse wife who operate some dispensaries in the Mwanza area (of the shores of Lake Victoria). They are always welcoming volunteers and the most you will need to pay is for your board while you are there. They have volunteers doing a lot of work at the hospital and dispensaries there, especially with women and children. Paula Lofstrom's e-mail address is paulalofstrom@yahoo.com Send her an e-mail and she will let you know what they might be able to do for he time you will be there.

When looking at organizations which take volunteers for work in Tanzania they come in two varieties 1) those who are doing volunteer work for a business; and 2) those who need to have some volunteers to work with them. You can typically tell the differences by the fees they charge; those doing it for a business will typically charge quite a bit more then those who are doing it because they need volunteers.

Good luck in your search.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volunteer Work

Hi - Amani childrens home is always looking for volunteers. Amani is located at the foot of Mt. Kilimanjaro and provides care and education for nearly 300 street children and orphans in Amani's home and in the local community. They provide a safe and loving home, nutritious meals, and medical care to homeless children in the Kilimanjaro region of Tanzania. There is lots of information on their website at http://amanikids.org/ The volunteer coordinator Joe is really helpful. Have a great time.

3. Re: Volunteer Work

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2009, 06:27