We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

regarding job in moshi

Which Moshi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
belgaum
2 posts
Save Topic
regarding job in moshi

my company posted me for job in kilimanjaro area ,i am planning to take my family along with me is it safe for me to work here for road construction

Moshi, Tanzania
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: regarding job in moshi

Which part of Moshi will you be staying?

If is around the downtown there are some social scene it will be important for you to have a car, not having it will not stop you from going you will use buses but mostly taxes. The here is not expensive compared to other places what you will need to know is some Swahili words especially the bargaining part of it ,knowing it will help you in bargaining because they will always raise the rise when you want to buy something.

If you have more questions I will answer them.

Al Khobar, Saudi...
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: regarding job in moshi

Awesome! Sorry, I have been traveling and havent been around a web connection.

Thanks for all of the posts! Sounds like Moshi is a pretty great place to live and work... Can anyone speak about the cost of living there? I am assuming it is cheap, but approximately what USD amount will I need monthly? Please know that the school (IS Moshi) takes care of my housing but NOT my utilities. I am basically trying to get an idea of what I can save if I head there for a bit...

Also, what kind of costs are there when going into the National Parks? I am hoping that living locally I would be able to take advantage of the nature/wildlife... but worried that the salary I will be paid/cost of parks/travel may not match up nicely...

Thanks again for all the info! Super helpful!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,072 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: regarding job in moshi

Safari in parks is often expensive for tourists and even locals. Getting a car and driver seems to be pricey, however, when you are there, you will get to know people and you can share the expenses and perhaps use basic camping. also, as you work there, you can get the local rates for places and park fees which is then very inexpensive. It is in Tanz shillings rather than US dollars. So, instead of $60 a day to visit the Serengeti, a local only pays 10,000 or $6.25US.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: regarding job in moshi

Local food is very inexpensive when you prepare it yourself and buy it in the local markets. I would guess that it wouldn't cost much more than $50 - $100 a month for food stuffs, if you don't eat in restaurants. Telephone cost is very inexpensive if you use text only, like pennies to send a text message. Electricity costs vary by region somewhat but I don't think it will be much more than 50,000 Tsh (at 1,600 Tsh = $1).

A safari will be very inexpensive if you take your own vehicle (or rent someone else's). You will need to pay the park fees, which are ~$50 in most cases and then you can go to the ranger station and hire a guide for the day for 10 - 20,000 Tsh.

Fuel cost are the most expensive thing you can get there. But if you use buses, dala dalas, and the like it is very inexpensive to travel. For example, you could get a bus from Moshi to Arusha for less than 2,000 Tsh taking a local. You can go to Dar es Salaam, which would be about a 7 hour ride for about 15,000 Tsh.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: regarding job in moshi

Hi Will

I have a child who goes to ISM, it is a great school and in a really nice location. The cost of electricity has gone up recently, it depends on the size of your house, but you would probably be looking at something like $50+ a month (somewhat more if you have air-conditioning). Food has also been going up a lot, you would easily spend $200-$300 a month depending on whether you buy western food or not.

Most of the teachers have their own cars, and you can easily get taxi's into town, although the going rate is now $5 one way from ISM into town. You can also catch a dalla dalla into town (they stop outside the school gate) for about 200 shillings.

There is a google group where people buy/sell things in Moshi - sometimes you can pick up a car here if you need: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/Tangaza

Social occasions are also sometimes advertised on that site. You will find the teachers are quite social and they will let you know where they all hang out. I know a young teacher who recently spent a year there and he loved it.

Internet is expensive and doesn't work that well, although the connection at ISM is better than most.

Many of the teachers go on safari, so it is likely you could team up with someone to make it cheaper. There are also plenty of advertisements from tourists looking for people to share travel costs with. You can make it as expensive or as cheap as you like. Check out the notice boards at Kilimanjaro Coffee Lounge (opposite Nakumatt) or Union Cafe as a starting point to find travel buddies.

There is also a great new Thai restaurant hopefully opening next month!

Let me know if you need any more info and have fun.

Arusha T
Level Contributor
9 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: regarding job in moshi

living in arusha i can tell you i would prefer to be in moshi any day! there has been a problem with street kids but now there seems to be alot of local organisations working with them. moshi town surrounds are green and beautiful. there is the international school of moshi which might help with your kids schooling needs and they have a sister school in arusha. loads of cafes and restaurants but moshi is a sleepy town. hub mainly for volunteer projects and start for kili climbs. KCMC is the big hospital there with quiet a lot of foreign doctors. you are only 2 hours drive from arusha if you want a weekend away to "civilazation"ha ha you are welcome to message me with any questions you might have. good luck

Puerto Varas
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: regarding job in moshi

Dear Quiltingmamma. Many thanks for all your usefull information and potential help. I have seen the forun you mention.

I will be in Moshi after my climb to Kilimanjaro and would love to go on safari, after the climb. I am not rich and of course is difficult to choose when it comes to options on the internet. Jeje. I will like to see the coast and stay at a cool quiet place near the beach before ending my holidays. So I have this idea.

After the climb join a safari for 6 days ? then take a bus to Dar es Salam and spend 7 days there and finaly visit a mission where I have spent some time in the past.

So if you have got good info about places in Dar es Salaam. Would be great.

I don't like to show I am tourist but of course I do like to be happy, safe and relaxed.

Many thanks! MA

South Riding VA
Level Contributor
619 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: regarding job in moshi

QM is away and doesn't have readily available internet access. I'm sure someone on the forum familiar with your issues will respond.

Moshi, Tanzania
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: regarding job in moshi

Interesting input everyone. Great insights and a lot of accurate information.

For those interested in living in Moshi it is an interesting dynamic for expats. Expants tend to be divided into two categories: young/volunteer, and older/family oriented. The extremely high turnover rate for expats leads for a very small world among those who are long time residents. The recent increase in "western services" has caused many expats to lead a very insular life devoid of any local interaction. That being said, if you're interested in that type of lifestyle, Moshi is a great place. ISM for school, KCMC for medical; Moshi has services for your family though it lacks character.

It all depends on your lifestyle and desires. Those who demand a western style life (housing, food, amenities) will probably have a cost of living similar to those in developed country urban areas. The tourism industry also does wonders for inflating the costs of western activities/lifestyles. Cost of living is completely dependent on lifestyle. I know expats that struggle on $1,000/month and locals that live comfortably off $200/month.

As far as the social scene, as mentioned above, you WILL see the same faces and get to realize Moshi is one big village, especially when it comes to expats. There are a few clubs and local bars but it lacks the anonymity and mixing of nearby Arusha (though Arusha has more crime). There tend to be events going on monthly catering to a variety of interests as advertised by Tangaza, word of mouth or at local coffee shops.

20. Re: regarding job in moshi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 20:05