We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Camping Safari Group

Which Moshi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Budget Camping Safari Group

My friend and I, both 23 from South Africa, will be backpacking in Kenya, Tanzania and Malawi in June. We are hoping to do a 2/3 day camping safari to the Serengeti and Ngorogoro Crater around the 17th – 25th of June, leaving either from Arusha or Moshi. According to posts on Trip Advisor, it’s probably best to round up a bigger group of people for a more affordable safari. Is it likely that we will be able to find like-minded travellers in either of these cities once we’re there, or would you suggest we mail several operators about fitting us into one of their groups? If so, which operators are best for those on a budget? Also, what is the lowest probable rate pppd we can hope for with a group of 5 or so?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget Camping Safari Group

It is possible, but don't be surprised if you don't find others who want to do exactly what you want to do. You might look at the Masai Camp bar, they have a bulletin board for posting group formations, also at the Bamboo Cafe on Boma Street has a bulletin board ourside for the same purpose. If you want a contact who can put together an inexpensive safari and put together some groups to reduce the cost, try emailing Armstrong Nyaka email address is armnyaka@yahoo.com and ask if he has anything available. Just don't expect luxury and you have to be flexible.

Also, 2/3 days safari to the Serengeti will be very difficult to do and enjoy any game-viewing. It will take a day to get there and a day to get back, so if it's a 2 day safari you will spend all your time on the road and not do any game-viewing. In June I would suggest that you do a 2/3 day safari going to Tarangire (where the animals will be beginning to gather) and the Ngorongoro Crater. That will make for a better time spent for you. And you will see more animals than you thought possible.

Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget Camping Safari Group

Hi, we are looking to do the same but at the start of June. Are you able to go between 1st and 10th June?

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget Camping Safari Group

Thanks for the advice, Karl. I'll send Armstrong a message, and if that fails, we'll be sure to check out those notice boards! We'll also look into going to the Ngorongoro Crater and Tarangire rather than the Serengeti .

JP, unfortunately we're staying with friends in Kenya before heading to Arusha, and won't be able to leave on a safari before the 19th of June. Hope you find some other travellers!

Edited: 27 May 2014, 17:21
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget Camping Safari Group

Hi Cayley,

I am a solo traveller from Australia reaching Kilimanjaro airport on 18th of June. Would you be interested to join together to bring the cost down?. I prefer 4 or 5 days of camping safari visting Serengeti and the Ngo crater.

Apart from the two locations... I fine with any thing else which would suit you.

Let me know

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget Camping Safari Group

Hi Sathish,

We're trying to work out if we can afford to do a 4/5 day safari rather than just the 3 days so we can also get to the Serengeti. After contacting some operators and Armstrong, we've decided that we'll only arrange things once we get there, so perhaps we can meet up in Arusha and hunt down a suitable tour together?

6. Re: Budget Camping Safari Group

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 05:15