We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions about highview hotel

Which Ngorongoro Conservation Area hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
questions about highview hotel

we are spending 2 and one half days in the Ngorongoro area at the Highview hotel. is the small town (Karatu) near the hotel that would be interesting to see in the afternoon / evening of one of these days? how near to the crater area is this hotel? is 2 1/2 days too much to spend in this area?? we will be on an individual safari so there is some flexibility is what we an do. thanks for any advice.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: questions about highview hotel

The crater is about 15 miles from this hotel, but it may take you 30 - 60 minutes to get there. The hotel is located just outside Karatu so you will be able to get a taxi to take you into Karatu to spend some time. That's plenty of time to spend there; however I don't know what you like to do or want to do so that question is difficult to answer for anyone else.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: questions about highview hotel

Thanks, Karl, for replying to my posts in both forums! (I also posted in the Moshi forum) My husband is a biology professor so he could spend his lifetime in the crater looking at animals and plants and still not get enough. I enjoy cultural tourism, viewing the wildlife / fauna, hiking (although it can't be too strenuous on this trip as my parents will be with us) and I would love to visit any local tribes and check out marketplaces and such. I also enjoy a nice cocktail in the evening after all this occurs. so do you think 2 1/2 days in the Ngorongoro area is too much? and do you have any specific recommendations of anything not to miss? thanks so much you have been so helpful already.

USA - Tanzania...
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: questions about highview hotel

The Highview Hotel is an interesting choice. It is a big hotel - more suited for business meetings in my opinion - compared with the many smaller lodges in the area.

http://www.go-safari.com/Manyara/Highview.htm

You can see the location on the Karatu maps here

http://www.go-safari.com/Manyara/manyara.htm

It takes about 2 hours from the hotel to the Crater floor. You will most probably not want to do this drive more than once!

It is hard to judge if 2.5 days are too long because you did not specify your budget or itinerary.

IMO your parents should enjoy the views from the crater rim so my suggestion is to consider staying on the rim instead of a large hotel in Karatu.

From there you can visit the Maasai in the Highlands and do two drives in the crater so two nights work well. Your dad will enjoy the wildlife in the early AM and the PM.

Karatu can be visited on your way to Arusha.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: questions about highview hotel

Since your husband is a biology professor he might enjoy the Olduvai Gorge where Louis and Mary Leakey worked and unearthed the oldest evidence of erect humans. It's not all that far from the Ngorogoro Crater area. Take your 2 1/2 days, I like some downtime in the evenings also, with something cool in my hand (although my physician has put me off limits to alcohol).

Melbourne
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: questions about highview hotel

Karl

Hi

just a small point

What the Leakeys unearthed at Olduvai Gorge was the oldest yet known remains of early man.Since then other remains of early man have been unearthed older than those.

But for sure it is well worth a visit

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: questions about highview hotel

Since I'm not an anthropologist I'm not up on all of that, and for the most part I only care about the century that I'm living in since we seem to have a difficult time getting through what we go through. But I thought that he might be interested in this kind of thing since he's a biology professor.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: questions about highview hotel

Hi

There are also cultural tours to see the WaIaqw tribe and you could if you find time visit the Wahadzapi bushmen which is not far from Karatu circa 3 hours drive.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: questions about highview hotel

we do have Olduvai gorge on the itinerary - that was high on my husband's list of priorities as you guessed. we tried to switch our hotel to one on the crater rim but were told by our safari company (Zara) that the hotel dosen't accept one night stays. so looks like we will be staying in Karatu. thanks for all the info on what to do in the area.

USA - Tanzania...
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: questions about highview hotel

Stef

Perhaps there was a misunderstanding. All the lodges on the carter rim accept one night stays.

10. Re: questions about highview hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 03:15
Get answers to your questions about Ngorongoro...