We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ngorogoro Crater Lodge - recent mixed reviews

Which Ngorongoro Conservation Area hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Ngorogoro Crater Lodge - recent mixed reviews

I have found the range of recent reviews of this lodge to be quite at opposite poles. I fully accept that "you can't please all the people all of the time", but either some reviewers have unreasonable expectations or non at all, if one were to take all at face value. I'd appreciate any ongoing, updated comments, as this lodge is on our "maybe" list. These forums are a superb venue for information, as long as one uses a degree of moderation.

1. Re: Ngorogoro Crater Lodge - recent mixed reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 September 2010, 17:49
2. Re: Ngorogoro Crater Lodge - recent mixed reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 September 2010, 17:49
Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ngorogoro Crater Lodge - recent mixed reviews

my friend and I from Ireland are thinking of booking bobby safari any one have any experience with this company?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,418 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ngorogoro Crater Lodge - recent mixed reviews

That holds with reviews for anything, anyplace... most have to be taken with a grain of salt.

As to Crater Lodge, some guests like crystal chandelliers, velvet drapes and rose petal baths, while others feel it's simply over the top in the middle of Africa.

scotland
Level Contributor
160 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ngorogoro Crater Lodge - recent mixed reviews

We stayed at Crater Lodge in 2009 It certainly is a bit over the top but I think it depends on what you are looking for in your trip to Africa Wherever you stay its still the same country, you will see the same animals and they dont care where your staying!! We had amazing acommodation with a view of the carter from every room including the loo. The food was great and the staff were lovely and seemed to be very happy at Crater Lodge many of them having their families with them. It is the ultimate in luxury and if thats what your looking for you will love it. Is it worth the money? It is an amazing place to stay and I am glad we did. Would I stay their again...yes if I win the lottery lol Is it the 'real Africa .. no of course not ..it is what it is An ultra Luxury Lodge and I loved it but I also loved Tanzania, the wildlife and the people.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ngorogoro Crater Lodge - recent mixed reviews

Thanks for the replies. Now, I'm looking for different info. Anything to say about either Plantation Lodge or Serengeti Safari Camp (Moru)? I may need to do a new posting.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,418 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ngorogoro Crater Lodge - recent mixed reviews

Plantation Lodge is the town of Karatu, about 1hr drive from entry to the Crater area. It's a lovely property, but staying here isn't ideal especially if you want to do an early morning crater tour. Probably won't get down to the crater floor till 9am. Where if staying on the crater rim - Lemala Camp is a great choice - you can be down on the floor when the gates open at 6am.

No comments on Serengeti Safari Camp or where exactly. But, this is the Serengeti, not Ngorongoro.

What exactly are you seeking? And, maybe a new thread would be best.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ngorogoro Crater Lodge - recent mixed reviews

Thanks - We're using the same agents that we have used before, very happy with their service. I'm looking for any info on either of these suggested locations: distance from Plantation to Olduvai Gorge, comments(not already posted) on the accommodations and generally just helpful info. I did post another thread as I thought it wise.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ngorogoro Crater Lodge - recent mixed reviews

kathy00... you need to do this as a new post if you want to get some answers. Bobby gets mixed reviews on this forum.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,418 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ngorogoro Crater Lodge - recent mixed reviews

""distance from Plantation to Olduvai Gorge,""

Actual drive times can vary and are always estimates, but it's about 1/hr drive from Plantation Lodge to Ngo Conservation Area; from here it's about 45/min drive to Oldupai.