We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanoi to Nanning train

Which Nanning hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hanoi to Nanning train

What are the difficulties and how long is the train from Hanoi Vietnam to Nanning China?

Nanning
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanoi to Nanning train

It will take you 13 hours for a single trip.

|If you are from the developed countires,I think you just show your passport,nothing difficult.

|but the bus would be faster and cheaper.

|I am a native in Nanning.

new jersey
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanoi to Nanning train

Thanks, Henry. I'm going to be part of a dragon boat festival that begins in Nanning on June 20. My hope is to fly to Beijing for a few days then on to Hanoi because Vietnam is so close to Nanning. Are there overnight trains from Hanoi to Nanning?

Nanning
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanoi to Nanning train

Overnight train from Hanoi to Nanning starts at 20:30(Vietnamnese time)

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,259 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanoi to Nanning train

goto this link

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293924-i8595-k135…

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanoi to Nanning train

Hi all.. we are due to travel from Hanoi into China to Nanning in the next few months and are sorting our Chinese Visa shortly.

Can you provide any insight into the Chinese/Vietnam border, and benefit of train vs bus?

Also, can anyone advise how/who we book train tickets through in advance? We have to demonstrate a round trip (i.e., transport in/out of China). We fly out of HK a few weeks later and have only booked some accommodation to date. Do we need to book all accommodation in advance?

Many thanks in advance

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,938 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanoi to Nanning train

Chinese visa applicants normally have to provide flights in/out; overland transport usually won't cut it although they'll probably accept an overland exit from China to Hong Kong and flight booking out of there. And yes, applicants without a letter of invitation usually also have to provide accommodation bookings. Once you get the visa, you may cancel bookings and do what you like. Check at wherever you are applying.

Bus is more flexible and faster than train between Hanoi and Nanning. Due to timing of border stop and inspection, you don't get much sleep on overnight train. I'd do a day bus.

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanoi to Nanning train

Ok thanks so much. Very helpful! We may look into flights to chengdu. May save a lot of hassle. Cheers

8. Re: Hanoi to Nanning train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 August 2013, 19:35
Hitchin, England
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hanoi to Nanning train

Hi there,

I took the train from Hanoi to Nanning in December 2010 and it's a great experience. Much more comfortable than the bus as the train is a sleeper so once you set off you can have some food (bring your own though) and go to sleep. You'll wake up just in time to arrive in Nanning.

With regard to the border, you'll stop at Dong Dang on the Vietnamese side of the border and leave the train at which point you'll be stamped out of Vietnam. You all re-board the train (when a Chinese official sprays disinfectant all through it) and take the journey of a few minutes over the border to the frontier on the Chinese side. There you will be stamped into China. I'm a UK national but I didn't need proof of onward travel as far as I can remember but I did already have a Chinese visa.

Tip. The train then sits in the yard for around an hour before leaving for Nanning. During this time toilets are locked so its a good idea to use them just before.

With regard to buying tickets in Hanoi, you buy them from the main station, BUT the train itself leaves from Gia Lam, on the outskirts of town. Get in a taxi (watch out for rigged meters) and ask for 'Ga Gia Lam'. You can probably buy them at Gia Lam but i never found out as I didn't want to risk it.

I was only in Nanning for the day before moving on to Guangzhou and HK and to be honest it was enough. Not the greatest city and I got a lot of strange looks because of my western appearance.

Good luck!

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hanoi to Nanning train

Hi,

My partner and I will be doing this trip in June of this year by train from Hanoi to Nanning. Is there anywhere we can book the train tickets online? We need to show proof of travel arrangements for our visas,

Thanks