We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Hong Kong to Nanning

Which Nanning hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aylesbury UK
14 posts
Save Topic
Travel from Hong Kong to Nanning

My wife and I usually fly from Hong Kong to Nanning when we go to see our friends and family, but I am wondering whether there are other modes of transport, e.g. Coach,train etc.

Is there a such a service?

What is the frequency of service? What is the cost? How long does it take?

Any information will be appreciated.

Guilin of China
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Hong Kong to Nanning

take train from hongkong to shenzhen, then from shenzhen bus station to catch bus to naning. it is available way of it. the price is about 150 yuan per person.

Plymouth, UK
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Hong Kong to Nanning

There are many ways of leaving Hong Kong and entering China "on the ground". In my experience this means travelling to the border by Bus or Train, going through all the hassle of Customs etc ( twice!) and then changing to another Bus or Train at Guangzohu for the overnight journey to Nanning.

If you catch the bus from Hong Kong Airport it is much more expensive than going to the Bus station!

The next time I travel to Nanning I will use the direct flight from London to Guangzohu ( At the moment costs £370) Much cheaper than going to Hong Kong without all the border crossing hassle! The flight to Nanning from there is also cheaper! The alternative is an overnight sleeper bus which are very cheap and remarkably comfortable!

I understand it is also possible to travel to Nanning by Ship on the river from Hong Kong! I would like to try this sometime - anyone any experience?

Aylesbury UK
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Hong Kong to Nanning

Thanks, paleo-what airlines fly direct from UK (Heathrow?) to Guangzhou? My wife says that there are adverts in the China Times ( to which we subscribe) for flights to Guangzhou but it wouls appear that there are at least two stops !

Aylesbury UK
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Hong Kong to Nanning

P.S.-paleo, you can e-mail me at : phillipsassociates@btinternet.com if you like!

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Hong Kong to Nanning

Take bus. It's cheap and safe. My brother has taken it twice and I never heard him complained about it. you can take the bus from airport or from the city (I think it's wanchai). It is about 12 hours to get to nanning by bus

California, U.S.A.
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Hong Kong to Nanning

Hi Ayles,

I take the bus from Hong Kong Airport to Guangzhou, then the overnight train to Nanning. This is a lot of time and travel, but I hate flying, so I don't care for the short hops between cities in China.

There are several bus choices from Hong Kong Airport to Guangzhou, but they are all clean and pleasant. The trip takes about 3 hours and ends at the China Hotel. The worst part is passing through customs (two times, out from Hong Kong and into China).

The train is 19 hours, but it's an overnighter. I always get a sleeper car at a cost of about 320 rmb ($40 US).

Good luck!

Plymouth UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Hong Kong to Nanning

My wife and I use the CTS bus from Hong Kong airport to Nanning Lang dong bus station. It departs at about 19:00 each evening and is a sleeper bus, so if you are tall, ask the crew if they can swap people around so you get the back bunks, which are longer!!! Go to the CTS desk in the arrivals area (the left hand end as you come out of airside) and the staff are very helpful.

I believe the fare has recently increased to 350 Yuan, which makes it about the same as the cheapest flight from Shenzhen. It gets in to Nanning at around six in the morning, just when the city bus services are starting up. The fare includes a bottle of water and a can of food too.

I don't particularly like the sleeper buses as I don't fit in the bunks very well, but they do run reasonably on time and are not expensive.

Yes, the bus is cheaper from Kowloon or HK island, but you have to pay for a bus or train to get there from the airport!

Plymouth UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Hong Kong to Nanning

My wife and I use the CTS bus from Hong Kong airport to Nanning Lang dong bus station. It departs at about 19:00 each evening and is a sleeper bus, so if you are tall, ask the crew if they can swap people around so you get the back bunks, which are longer!!! Go to the CTS desk in the arrivals area (the left hand end as you come out of airside) and the staff are very helpful.

I believe the fare has recently increased to 350 Yuan, which makes it about the same as the cheapest flight from Shenzhen. It gets in to Nanning at around six in the morning, just when the city bus services are starting up. The fare includes a bottle of water and a can of food too.

I don't particularly like the sleeper buses as I don't fit in the bunks very well, but they do run reasonably on time and are not expensive.

Yes, the bus is cheaper from Kowloon or HK island, but you have to pay for a bus or train to get there from the airport!

Good luck!

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Hong Kong to Nanning

Agree that sleeper buses can be a good way to travel once in a while. the better buses are clean and non smoking,and you have to remove shoes to enter. Frequent use of them will probably leave you tried and stiff though.

Larfingboy -for the bus from HKIA, did you have to change buses at the Hong Kong-Shenzhen border, or was it the same bus straight through?

Plymouth UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Hong Kong to Nanning

China and Hong Kong drive on different sides of the road, and buses are changed at the border. Normally, you get off the bus at the Hong Kong exit border crossing then after passport control, you board the same bus again and are driven to the Chinese entry complex, where you take your baggage and go through customs and immigration to enter China. Before you get on the bus in the airport, you will be given stickers to put on your clothes to indicate which bus you need the other side of the border, and lovely smiling and helpful girls will herd you into a group to wait for the Chinese bus to load you up and take you on your merry way to Nanning. Obviously, the reverse procedure occurs on the return trip.

CTS have provided the best service to us in our travels - it is Government run and will find replacement buses very quickly if breakdowns occur, and will probably lay on a shuttle bus to take you on to the next bus if needed.

We went once only via a different provider and we had to walk from the border over the footbridges and around the car park WITH heavy baggage, all after a long flight to HK and in the steamy heat of summer!! Ugh.

Hope this helps.

Get answers to your questions about Nanning