We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beijing Airport

Which Taiyuan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
262 reviews
Save Topic
Beijing Airport

If I get a flight from Taiyuan to Beijing (PEK) Capital Airport is this the international airport? Is the domestic terminal close to the international terminal? We have an international flight at 19.30 and I'm considering the best options for travelling from Pingyao to Beijing that day.

20 replies to this topic
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beijing Airport

It is the international airport but terminals service both domestic and international flights arranged by carrier. Look on the Beijing forum Top Questions for airport info. You need to know which terminal you will arrive at and which one you will depart from. If they are not the same then you should allow an extra half hour at least to cross from one to the other. In any event if you are connecting on the same day you should allow plenty of time. Personally, I wouldn't risk such a connection unless you have the option to reschedule the international leg without penalty. You cannot be certain about domestic delays.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beijing Airport

I'm thinking the bullet train would be a safer option. Flights in China from my experience are often changed or cancelled. Google shows Beijing West train station is half an hour from the International Airport?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beijing Airport

No way. Allow at least an hour in a taxi excluding waiting time and pray for good traffic. An hour and a quarter on the subway system at least but not recommended with lots of luggage.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beijing Airport

Thanks Qupnicely, I actually did my second post before reading your reply. My original intention was to take the bullet train and you've confirmed this decision.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beijing Airport

OK my questions and comments are out of sequence. I usually aim to be at the airport three hours before an International flight. That means we would aim to be at the airport by about 16.30 but less would work if we check-in online. There's a G train on the China Train Guide (I hope it's up-to-date - it will be end of April) which leaves Taiyuan at 11.43 and arrives Beijing West at 14.31. Would you consider that safe? We travel light and don't carry large luggage.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beijing Airport

That would be very comfortable.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beijing Airport

Thank you very much for your advice :-)

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,800 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beijing Airport

Since you need to catch an international flight after, make sure that you buy these trains tickets as soon as possible as you you do not have so many options and not getting tickets would have pretty bad consequences.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beijing Airport

Thanks JP, Is it only possible to buy tickets 10 days in advance? Can we get them from any station eg Shanghai?

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beijing Airport

I've read on travelchinaguide.com that you can buy rail tickets online up to 20 days in advance delivered to a hotel. Is this reliable?

Reply to: Beijing Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted