We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For any questions you have regards on Taiyuan

Oberlin, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
For any questions you have regards on Taiyuan

Hi there

I just realized that there aren't too much information about Shanxi and Taiyuan for travellers, even on Tripadvisor, the information and reviews are limited which makes travelers to prepare for their upcoming trip. I'm currently in the U.S but spent most of my time in Taiyuan before college, and I'm also going back to Taiyuan every summer. I would like to try my best to answer any questions you have regards on Shanxi, Taiyuan in particular since I grew up there. My knowledge and understanding on the transportation, taxi fare should be enough for your trip preparation. Besides that, I'm also a frequently flyer, let me know if you have trouble with plane schedule and ticket, I'm definitely familiar with all routes that Taiyuan airport connect with elsewhere in the world.

I'm be there this upcoming August after my family trip in Thailand. Hope to see you there

32 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: For any questions you have regards on Taiyuan

Hi

I'm thinking on a free and easy trip to Taiyuan. Is transportation easily available from Taiyuan airport to Tai huai town?

Oberlin, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For any questions you have regards on Taiyuan

The airport offers shuttle bus to many of the major spot in Taiyuan, but the taxi service is less-organized. The black-Cab charges you three times highers than usually. You can try to catch a cab in the departure terminal, some taxi offers the "go-by-meter" service which is reasonable. If you want to go to Taihuai directly from the airport, you have to reserve a car that can takes you there. It totally depends on what budget you are on, and whether you want to have a stopover in Taiyuan or not.

Oberlin, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For any questions you have regards on Taiyuan

And also,it would be a lot more easier if you know some basic Chinese. Most drivers don't speak English, and a lot of the car-rental and bus schedule online are Chinese only

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: For any questions you have regards on Taiyuan

Thanks for your reply euromun!

My tentative arrival time in Taiyuan airport is 12:30am. I suppose the shuttle buses don't run during that unearthly hour. Is it still easy to get a go-by-meter cab at that time to Taiyuan City? i'm looking for a hotel as close possible to the airport to spend the night and bus/train to Taihuai the next day.

Do you have any car(driver) reservation service you can recommend? And can you share with me the link to the online bus schedule you mentioned? I do speak Chinese.

Are you also familiar with Taihuai?

Oberlin, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For any questions you have regards on Taiyuan

I assume you are taking Hainan Airlines. 12:35am is a really bad to catch a taxi,the black taxi costs double after the mid-night. I would suggest you to try a mobile apps 滴滴打车,it might gets you a cab if you have phone and data access. However, it is better to plan it earlier. Or you may try to take a airport shuttle cost about 15RMB, it takes you to the city and you can get cab afterwards.

I don't recommend you to stay in the airport area since the hotels there are limited. The city is not that far,so you might want to try to stay in the city which offers you a lot more choices. I'm no sure what budget you are on. Don't be panic or get freak out if you don't see the cab coming in the city, Taiyuan is pretty much a safe place, just relax. You should try to search it online if you know Chinese language, and also, on the Backpacker.tw, there's someone who offers foreigners a ride to Pingyao,and other places in Shanxi. A lot of Taiwanese use this kinda of service, hope you can find that guy. Some hotels can also provides you information about transportation to other towns

hppycts
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For any questions you have regards on Taiyuan

My flight arrives at Taiyuan at 11:00am midOctober. I was planning on visiting Jinci Temple and then taking the latest bus possible to Hunyuan County. Do you know where I can find the schedule for the last bus to Hunyuan? I'd prefer not to stop at Datong due to time constraints.

Edited: 03 June 2014, 13:29
Oberlin, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For any questions you have regards on Taiyuan

I don't think you can find the bus schedule online. The possible way to do this is go to the bus station, and ask the people who work there(In Chinese obviously). I think there's multiple ways to get there without having a stop in Datong

California
Level Contributor
64 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For any questions you have regards on Taiyuan

Thank you so much for being so generous! I'll be in Taiyuan for 3 nights ( 晋祠宾馆 ). Are there any convenient good restaurants nearby for 2 people? Some restaurants have huge banquet tables; so intimidating. I saw a well-liked Cantonese restaurant in the Jinci park area. We had too much Sichuan, Taiwanese cuisine & hot pot already, so prefer to avoid these. Or salty, very oily foods. What are famous local dishes, breakfast/ tea/snack houses, & restaurants near popular sightseeing locations? (For example, near the provincial museum, major temples, etc.)

Would it be difficult to get a cab from restaurants / city center to 晋祠宾馆 ? I'm not sure I'll know how to install/use the app you mentioned.

Do you like these food places? 六味斋, 双合成 , http://www.dianping.com/shop/8821947 老鼠窟元宵

Which areas do you prefer for lunch or dinner?

Are there good areas for walking around/sightseeing outside of Jinci area? Places where it's not hard to cross streets. (Minimal shopping).

Many thanks in advance! May I just PM/message you directly?

Edited: 06 August 2014, 18:23
California
Level Contributor
64 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For any questions you have regards on Taiyuan

Please disregard my questions regarding restaurants in central Taiyuan. "Quan Jin Hui Guan" looks like a reasonable restaurant for those who stay near the central area. Thank you!

Oberlin, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For any questions you have regards on Taiyuan

It's usually easy to get a taxi, or you could always download a mobile app for calling taxi (Some Chinese language skill might be useful for this). The restaurants you talked about are pretty "Taiyuan" I would say, it's local but definitely not my taste. There are some great choices in Liuxiang(柳巷), but a bit crowded. Or near Changfengjie, if you prefer to have good environment, Changfengjie is a good area to explore.

Reply to: For any questions you have regards on Taiyuan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted